Policy and Research Analyst
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The Halifax Chamber of Commerce is a business advocacy organization committed to creating value and prosperity for its members. The Chamber provides the services its members need while advocating for the conditions to enhance private sector growth. Together, the 1,800+ member businesses and their over 65,000 employees act as a single, powerful voice through the Chamber to promote local business interests. The volunteer board of directors and Chamber staff undertake initiatives by request of, and on behalf of their diverse membership.
On behalf of our client, we are currently recruiting for a Policy and Research Analyst to join their team of dedicated professionals in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Reporting to the Vice President, Policy, the Policy and Research Analyst will work closely with the Vice President, Policy, and the Senior Policy Analyst to achieve the overall strategic advocacy direction of the Chamber to sustain and enhance the Chamber's role as the "voice of business" in the Halifax and regional area.
Policy Development and Policy Analysis
- Provide support and research to leadership and advice for the development and advancement of Chamber advocacy initiatives.
- Undertake research and analysis, including economic analysis, on current and proposed Chamber advocacy initiatives; provide advice and recommendations on next steps.
- Assist the VP Policy and the Senior Policy Analyst in the completion of their duties by supplying high level, technically accurate:
- Briefing notes
- Speaking points
- Meeting Minutes
- Analysis of potential impacts of policy positions and identification of emerging issues.
- Information and assistance on an ongoing and as needed basis.
Task Force Committee Support
The Chamber currently has two task forces that work towards achieving goals that reflect the Strategic Plan. Each task force consists of approximately 15 members from various sectors and is chaired by a board member. The two task forces are: Fostering Private Sector Growth which focuses on business issues like regulations, exporting and taxes and Accessing a Skilled Workforce which focuses on business issues like labor, immigration, and DEI&A.
The policy analyst duties for the task forces would be:
- Manage and lead the Task Force Communication's plan
- Ensure action items are completed and goals are met
Research and Advice
- Enhance the overall functioning of the Chamber. Through research proficiency (i.e. the ability to source and synthesize data) the policy and research analyst provides advice to enhance the functioning of all Chamber departments.
- Work with the VP Policy, Senior Policy Analyst, and Chamber staff and volunteers to ensure that Chamber Policies are factual and presented to the public in a clear and understandable way.
- Prepare written reports and briefings to communicate final policy positions both internally and externally.
- Provide general communication related support as it relates to policy and emerging issues:
- Preparing the President for media interviews
- Bi-weekly e-newsletter articles
- Website maintenance
- Preparation of presentations for President, Senior VP
- Policy content contribution for speeches
As the ideal candidate, you possess strong analytical skills, along with experience in policy-related research, analysis, and evaluation. A bachelor's degree in a related field such as political science, public administration, business management is required, along with related work experience, or a master's degree in a related field. The incumbent should have a well-developed ability to think independently and be able to identify policy options and implement practical solutions to problems. Excellent interpersonal skills and a proven ability to communicate effectively both orally and in written form will be key to success in the role. Knowledge and understanding of Nova Scotia's government structure, policies, and projects as well as the ability to communicate effectively in the context of government and business environments will be considered strong assets. Additionally, well developed computer skills in a variety of software applications including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Internet applications, is required.
To express interest in this opportunity please apply online directly:
If you have any questions, please contact Brittany Beale, Consultant at [email protected] or Scott McGaw, Partner at [email protected] If you require accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please let us know.
Meridia Recruitment Solutions connects leading organizations with top talent by building strong relationships and creating ideal matches with candidates because we are only successful when you are. We appreciate your interest in this opportunity.
To learn more about Meridia Recruitment Solutions, our job opportunities, and career advice we invite you to explore our site and subscribe for career alerts.