Are you a driven, multi-talented individual with a passion for business attraction, investment readiness, and Innovation Driven Entrepreneurship? Are you seeking a supportive work environment where you can do your best work and thrive among a team of professionals? Then you could be the Cape Breton Partnership's next Innovation and Economic Development Officer (InEDO) focused on the Strait Region of Cape Breton - Unama'ki (primarily Richmond County and the Town of Port Hawkesbury), and creating and managing projects to foster Innovation Driven Entrepreneurship throughout Cape Breton - Unama'ki!
Reporting to the President & CEO and an important part of the Partnership's Island-Wide Economic Development team, the InEDO has three priority areas:
- Lead business attraction and investment readiness initiatives and respond to investment attraction inquiries and individual business requests within Richmond County and Town of Port Hawkesbury regions of the Cape Breton Regional Enterprise Network (CB REN).
- Lead the development, implementation, and management of island-wide innovation initiatives,including plans and initiatives included in the recently completed Innovation District project and collaborative work with partners across Cape Breton - Unama'ki and throughout the region;
- Lead the Partnership's efforts to support green energy development in Cape Breton - Unama'ki, including off-shore wind, hydrogen, ammonia, on-shore wind, solar and other opportunities as they arise.
- Work with Cape Breton Partnership, the Municipality of the County of Richmond, the Town of Port Hawkesbury, Nova Scotia Business Inc. (NSBI), Innovacorp, ONSIDE, Eastern District Planning Commission (EDPC), Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA), and other partners to support new business investment in the Strait Region of Cape Breton, primarily including Richmond County and the Town of Port Hawkesbury.
- Support the marketing and sale of lots in municipal-owned business parks, including the Point Tupper Heavy Industrial Park, the Richmond County Light Industrial Park, and the shared business park in the Town of Port Hawkesbury.
- Work with post-secondary, private sector, community, and government partners to enhance and coordinate entrepreneurship support services and programs across the island - including streamlining, coordinating and promoting existing services, filling gaps in services with new programming, and establishing a functional network of innovation and entrepreneurship spaces across the island.
- Develop and implement plans to co-manage A'Paqt Place / Ocean Innovation Centre with the Town of Port Hawkesbury as a community innovation space that fosters the growth of Innovation Driven Entrepreneurship suited to local economic opportunities.
- Develop and implement plans to manage, maintain, and deliver programs at community innovation spaces in a manner that delivers excellent client services, and builds capacity and community among entrepreneurs.
- Collaborate with the Cape Breton Partnership's communications team to develop coordinated marketing initiatives designed to attract investors and new businesses to the region, using the established brands and web properties of the Cape Breton Partnership and its partners such as www.WelcomeToCapeBreton.ca and www.theStrait.ca.
- Collect, aggregate and/or maintain relevant business and economic data for Richmond County and the Town of Port Hawkesbury, in collaboration with the CB REN team.
- Provide support and advice, as needed and/or requested, to the CAOs and other municipal staff to support the development or revision of municipal policies which will support commercial growth and protect municipal interests.
- Lead, manage and/or support municipal priority projects related to economic development as required.
- Develop strong relationships with local, regional and national business support organizations, partners, and stakeholders to ensure Richmond County and the Town of Port Hawkesbury are best positioned for growth.
- Contribute to and/or organize area task forces and committees such as the Strait of Canso Offshore Wind Task Force, Strait Area Working Group, and other initiatives as they arise.
- Update and maintain a local land database of commercial sites available for development.
- Attend and contribute to various Municipal council and committee meetings that are often held in the evening.
- Maintain confidentiality and manage a project budget effectively.
- Use CRM tool to maintain project database and client contact information, ensuring accuracy, integrity, and timely entry of data.
- Prepare written progress reports and presentations for funders, Councils, and other relevant stakeholders.
- Other duties as required.
Education, Experience Knowledge:
- Post-secondary level education in a relevant discipline from a recognized academic institution, such as Business Administration, Commerce, Economics, or similar.
- 5 years of economic development and project management experience.
- Extensive knowledge of municipal government, relevant planning and economic development legislation, development approval processes, business park development, infrastructure requirements for business development, and taxation structures.
- Strong knowledge of business theories and practices as well as knowledge of local and regional economic development potential and opportunities.
Skills, Abilities Competencies:
- Strong English communication skills (verbal/written).
- Strong project and contract management, organization, time management, and planning skills.
- Exemplary presentation and analytical skills; must be comfortable speaking in front of a crowd, including senior leaders, government officials, and entrepreneurs.
- Positive attitude and proven interpersonal skills.
- Must be a self-starter; someone who takes initiative and has the ability to work effectively and efficiently with minimal direction.
- Ability to effectively juggle multiple projects and tasks at the same time in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to network effectively with communities, businesses, economic development professionals and a wide variety of other organizations.
- Must be tactful and able to exercise sound judgement and discretion when working or interacting with community leaders, diverse community groups, and all levels of government.
- Political awareness and sensitivity.
- Attention to detail.
- Effective computer skills. The successful candidate must be familiar with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, as well as virtual communication tools like Microsoft Teams and Zoom.
- Previous entrepreneurial experience.
- Previous experience operating a co-working space and/or business incubator program.
- Innovation expertise.
- Skilled strategist and communications planner.
- Ability to speak multiple languages.
- Certification in economic development and project management.
- Experience with CRM tools such as Insightly.
- Familiarity with the Cape Breton - Unama'ki business community.
- The InEDO will work primarily Monday-Friday in an office environment, traveling to and from clients' places of work or to meeting locations convenient for clients' or partners' needs, with the option to work from home 2 days a week, provided you have a strong and reliable internet connection and can maintain confidentiality.
- Flexibility in remote working or multi-site office locations may be available depending on the successful candidate's proximity to our established office locations in Port Hawkesbury, Arichat, Port Hood, Baddeck, and Sydney.
- Frequent sitting or standing while using a computer is required.
- Flexibility in working hours is required as some work will happen outside of regular hours.
- You will be required to travel frequently throughout the Island to fulfil the duties of this role.
- Valid Driver's License and access to a reliable vehicle is required.
- Office location: Port Hawkesbury.
- Full-time 12-month contract beginning as soon as possible, with strong possibility of renewal through the Regional Enterprise Network (REN) program.
- Competitive total compensation package that includes immediate access to our cost-shared benefits package and free access to our Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP).
- Offers of employment will be conditional on the candidate's ability to accept and comply with all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, confidentiality, intellectual property, non-solicitation, and conflict of interest policies.
Please forward your cover letter and resume as a single PDF file to: [email protected]
Interested, qualified candidates are encouraged to apply right away as this position is open until filled; candidates selected for an interview will be contacted on an ongoing basis.
About the Cape Breton Partnership:
The Cape Breton Partnership is Cape Breton-Unama'ki's private sector-led economic development organization.
Our Vision: A thriving Cape Breton - Unama'ki.
Our Mission: Transform Cape Breton - Unama'ki into the most creative and prosperous place on earth.
Our Mandate: PROMOTE Cape Breton - Unama'ki as a great place to live, work, and invest;
GROW a culture that values and celebrates creativity, innovation, and entrepreneurship; and
CONNECT entrepreneurs and businesses to the resources they need to succeed.
The island-wide organization, led by a Board of Directors, delivers programs and initiatives to support business and economic development, and administers two Regional Enterprise Networks (RENs):
- Cape Breton Regional Municipality Regional Enterprise Network (CBRM-REN)
- Cape Breton Regional Enterprise Network (CB-REN), which includes:
- the Municipalities of the Counties of Victoria, Richmond, Inverness;
- the First Nation Communities of Membertou, Eskasoni, We'koqma'q, Wagmatcook;
- the Town of Port Hawkesbury.
With approximately 25 staff located across Cape Breton-Unama'ki, the Cape Breton Partnership works with all levels of government, and private and non-profit groups to help foster inclusive economic growth on the Island.