Science Experience Coordinator
Department: Discovery Centre Science Education
Supervisor: Director, Science Education
Position Category: Full Time
Working Hours: 35 hours per week
The main objective of the position is to develop and lead a skilled team of staff scientists, seasonal employees, and volunteers in providing quality visitor experiences and services to guests of the Discovery Centre.
The incumbent develops and leads training sessions, evaluates performance, hires and schedules the Science Experience team. The Coordinator works with Science Experience staff and volunteers daily, providing mentorship and feedback to maintain a high quality visitor experience. Liaising with other departments, stakeholders, and external organizations is required. The Coordinator assists in identifying key volunteer positions and provides ongoing volunteer program development and support.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Ensures high standards of visitor experience. Oversees the development and refresh of exciting hands-on STEAM programming.
- Develops new visitor experience programs as required.
- Hires and provides orientation, training, schedules, and performance evaluations for Science Experience staff and volunteers.
- Oversees Science Experience responsibilities related to the Dome Theatre, innovation lab and aquarium systems.
- Coordinates and actively grows visitor programs, including Science on the Spot, Dome and Ocean Gallery shows, Corporate Team Building Programs, Little Learners, birthday parties, and group programs.
- Develops and maintains ongoing organization requirements for volunteers and volunteer job descriptions.
- Schedules and maintains records and statistics for Science Experience programs for reporting purposes.
- Purchases supplies and materials as needed, working within stipulated budgets, and maintaining associated financial records.
- Performs other duties as required.
The Science Experience Coordinator works in the Science Education department under the supervision of the Director, Science Education. The Coordinator works closely with the Exhibits, Partnerships, and Marketing and Sales departments to meet the mission of Discovery Centre.
- This position requires a dynamic individual with strong communications skills, able to develop positive rapport with staff, volunteers, visitors, and external stakeholders.
- Experience managing staff.
- Ability to set priorities and manage workloads with minimal supervision.
- Related background or experience in STEAM field preferred.
- Previous experience working in a not-for-profit organization preferred.
- Demonstrated administrative skills and experience.
- Familiar with Microsoft Office programs, including Teams, Word, and Excel.
- English - French (bilingual) considered an asset.
Hours of Work
A total of 35 hours per week with evening shifts as required.
The coordinator makes decisions on staff and volunteer management under the direction of the Director, Science Education.
The coordinator is responsible for providing supervision for staff and volunteers.
This position is responsible for recruiting qualified individuals that will maintain the reputation of the Centre, ensuring regular performance evaluations and proper disciplinary action as necessary.
The setting is for the most part an office environment but requires interaction with all areas within the facility. The incumbent is required to
work core operating hours and some evening work may be required.
A formal appraisal will be completed in the month of April or unless otherwise indicated as per the Human Resources Policy