Posted 18 days ago
Competition Number: 22004386
PROPULSION SYSTEMS ENGINEER
Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7, and 35 Micmac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3A 4Y8, Irving Shipbuilding has a proud history as Canada's shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited group of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in North America. Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 20 modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada's National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history. This year we delivered the second lead Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship, the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years and we're just getting started. The third ship will be delivered in 2022.
We are growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada's shipbuilding industry and provide Canada's sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada's interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants. We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is seeking a Propulsion Systems Engineer.
This is a permanent full-time role based in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia. The primary language of work is English. We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women (applying for non-traditional positions), persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of the 2SLGBTQ community. ISI encourages applicants to self-identify in the cover letter/resume portion of your application. Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment where all employees feel supported and valued.
- Academically qualified as an engineer with a recognized Engineering Degree able to eventually achieve a Professional Engineer designation in Nova Scotia, Canada;
- Five plus years of design and integration experience with shipboard marine propulsion systems;
- Experience in many aspects of marine propulsion systems, such as marine gas turbines, marine diesel engines, propulsion gearboxes, clutches, couplings, shafting and bearings, propellers, intakes and uptakes, resilient mountings, propulsion prime mover support systems, IPMS integration, and other associated aspects of ship propulsion;
- Experience preparing technical specifications for equipment and material purchase;
- Electrical marine propulsion experience including electrical generators, medium voltage (MV) distribution, large scale power electronics, and electric propulsion motors;
- Experience with maneuvering systems such as steering gear, rudders, thrusters, and stabilizers;
- Experience with IMO Tier III emissions regulations and after-treatment systems such as SCR and EGR systems;
- Experience working with classification society rules and classification societies to achieve plan approval for shipboard marine propulsion systems;
- Experience with naval areas of shock and ship signatures and the impacts on propulsion systems;
- Experience with system design for naval vessels redundancy, distributed systems, and graceful degradation;
- Experience working within an Integrated Business Management Environment (IBME) that includes an integrated shipbuilding suite of software customized for the design and construction of ships including 3D modeling software, catalogue management, planning, and construction management;
- Experience interfacing and working with subcontractors;
- Experience working in an Integrated Product Team (IPT) work structure;
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively in English, both orally and in writing.
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- Oversee design activities of major subcontractors;
- Participate in maintaining propulsion systems and related marine systems requirements;
- Assists with facilitating and overseeing subcontractor development of design deliverables and technical purchase specifications relating to propulsion systems;
- Assist with change management associated with propulsion systems and related marine systems;
- Participate in Integrated Product Teams in support of development of the CSC design;
- Participate in meetings with equipment and material vendors;
- Support the review of propulsion systems content in technical design reviews;
- Address risk items relating to the Propulsion Systems Team areas of responsibility, including identification and risk mitigation planning;
- Develop and fostering client and subcontractor(s) relationships.
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan;
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs;
- RRSP matching program;
- Health & Wellness reimbursements;
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development;
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies;
- Relocation costs (if applicable).
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as 'Safety Sensitive' where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
For further details, please contact Talent Acquisition at [email protected].
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however; only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Save for Later