JUNIOR ENGINEER, ABOVE WATER SENSORS
Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7, and 35 Micmac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3A 4Y8, Irving Shipbuilding has a proud history as Canada's shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited group of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in North America. Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 20 modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada's National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history. This year we delivered the second lead Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship, the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years and we're just getting started. The third ship will be delivered in 2022.
We are growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada's shipbuilding industry and provide Canada's sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada's interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants. We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is seeking aJunior Engineer, Above Water Sensors
This is a permanent full-time role based in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia. The primary language of work is English. We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women (applying for non-traditional positions), persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of the 2SLGBTQ community. ISI encourages applicants to self-identify in the cover letter/resume portion of your application. Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment where all employees feel supported and valued.
- Engineering Degree or equivalent (e.g. Electrical, Electronic, Mechatronic or Computer Engineering);
- Technical or Project Management certification
- Qualified to be or member of P.Eng. body;
- Experience working in system design engineering;
- Experience working in design, production, and test within an integrated systems/ platform (Ship, Aerospace, etc.);
- Understanding of ship construction;
- Experience in engineering for Naval platforms;
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- Participate in the AWS Capability structure to assist with the coordination and management of stakeholder interests, governing standards, and CSC requirements applicable to CSC Design;
- Participate in design, integration, and test activities to ensure a fully compliant and certified AWS suite (3D Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) RADAR, Target Illuminator, Electro Optical Infra-Red (EOIR), Infra-Red Search and Track (IRST), Identification Friend or Foe (IFF) system...) design solution for the CSC;
- Develop and evaluate documentation products related to the design, integration, and test of the AWS suite;
- Perform engineering studies and create reports in assigned technical areas.
- Support engineering Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) in analysis of assigned technical areas and perform engineering work in accordance with governing policies, procedures, standards, and regulations.
- Support the development of plans, procedures, and processes in support of program requirements.
- Support the coordination of scheduling, planning, and conduct of Above Water Sensors suite activities to ensure that related program milestones are met;
- Provide field engineering support during CSC production, for AWS systems installation, set to work, system integration, test, and evaluation. Provide status reports on assigned activities to the AWS Capability Manager (CM);
- Develop knowledge of the CS physical and functional architecture and the operational employment of CS and their roles in the Detect to Engage Sequence to ensure valid solutions for the RCN customer;
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with internal (Shipyard Production, CSC Program personnel) and external stakeholders (subcontractors and Canadian government staff);
- Support a culture of teamwork, pro-activeness, and enthusiasm within the CSC Engineering Team, and be a role model for professional behavior.
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan;
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs;
- RRSP matching program;
- Health & Wellness reimbursements;
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development;
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies;
- Relocation costs (if applicable).
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as 'Safety Sensitive' where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
For further details, please contact Talent Acquisition at [email protected].
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however; only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.