Posted 10 days ago
Competition Number: 22001153
Human Systems Integration Senior Specialist , CSC
Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7, and 35 Micmac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3A 4Y8, Irving Shipbuilding has a proud history as Canada's shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited group of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in North America. Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 20 modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada's National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history. This year we delivered the second lead Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship, the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years and we're just getting started. The third ship will be delivered in 2022.
We're growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada's shipbuilding industry and provide Canada's sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada's interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants. We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is seeking a Human Systems Integration Senior Specialist for the Canadian Surface Combatant Program.
This is a permanent full-time role based in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia. The primary language of work is English. We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women (applying for non-traditional positions), persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of the 2SLGBTQ community. ISI encourages applicants to self-identify in the cover letter/resume portion of your application. Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment where all employees feel supported and valued.
- Academically qualified with an Advanced University Degree in the discipline of Human Factors, Ergonomics, or Human Systems Integration;
- 5 Years or more experience in the following areas:
- Human Systems Integration or Human Factors Engineering
- Systems Engineering in large and complex Defence acquisition projects involving coordination between multiple organizations
- Establishing and maintaining positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including customers
- Experience with the application of Human Systems Integration into new, complex acquisition projects would be considered an asset
- Experience with NATO armed forces would be considered an asset
- Experience working in design, integration, installation, and test of defence systems would be considered an asset
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to lead and manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, NATO Secret Clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- Maintain Human Systems Integration (HSI) and Human Factors Engineering (HFE) for a complex major surface combatant
- Develop, execute and coordinate HFE/HSI in accordance with the Human Systems Integration Program Plan, Regulatory and Statutory requirements, and DND Policy
- Ensure requirements for verification & validation are consistently met
- Conduct human-in-the-loop testing
- Provide technical expertise in support of the development, documentation, and evaluation of deliverables related to HFE/HIS
- Evaluate Engineering Change to ensure that impacts, risks, and issues related to design, integration, test, and acceptance activities are identified, communicated, and recorded
- Provide HSI and HFE input to Integrated Project Teams and Working Groups
- Contribute to Hazard Identification, Hazard Analysis and Risk Assessment
- Promote a positive Product/System Security, Safety and Environmental Culture within the Project
- Support a culture of collaboration, enthusiasm, and a proactive nature within the Project
- Act as a role model for professional behavior.
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan;
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs;
- RRSP matching program;
- Health & Wellness reimbursements;
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development;
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies.
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as 'Safety Sensitive' where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for their own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
For further details, please contact Stephen Empringham at [email protected]
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Save for Later