The University of Prince Edward Island and ACENET are seeking a Research Consultant at the UPEI campus in Charlottetown, PEI, to assist academic and industry clients in using and navigating the advanced computing resources (HPC, GPU, Cloud) available through ACENET and the Digital Research Alliance of Canada (Alliance).
Established in 2003, ACENET is a consortium of universities and community colleges in Atlantic Canada providing researchers in academia and industry with Digital Research Infrastructure (DRI) resources, tools, software, training, and support. For more information on ACENET, please visit https://www.ace-net.ca/
ACENET's central mission is to help researchers get their research done. We do this by providing them with computing resources, and by making those as easy to use as we can. This position will appeal to a motivated self-starter and relationship-builder comfortable in both academic and industry settings, with responsibilities extending throughout Atlantic Canada, and nationally.
- Consult with clients, both new and experienced, to provide support and expertise in Advanced Computing and High Performance Computing. Topics of consultation could include parallel programming, code optimization, cloud computing, GPU programming, use of job queuing systems, research related website development and data management.
- Assist researchers, both new and experienced, in all aspects of using ACENET and Alliance computing resources, from small problems to big.
- Develop and deliver training, workshops, seminars and information sessions around Advanced Computing technologies, approaches, and methodologies.
- Maintain relationships with research groups to ensure ACENET is meeting their current needs and is preparing for their future needs.
- Ensure client support issues are addressed in a timely manner.
- Assist Director Business Development in community engagement, identifying prospective industry and academic clients, exploring and validating their computing needs, and determining fit and potential solutions.
- Evaluate and recommend new technologies, services, and software tools.
- Work with a dispersed technical team to continuously improve ACENET's service delivery.
- Participate in relevant national committees, working groups, and research support activities.
- Undertake other duties as required.
As the ideal candidate, you will have a graduate degree in a STEM discipline and computational research experience with significant programming skills. Consideration will be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience. With a proven ability to quickly learn new technologies, you don't hesitate to seek answers when faced with an unknown. You have a talent for effective organization and balancing multiple priorities and time pressures. You are insightful, able to dig to uncover client needs, and are a problem-solver who comes up with creative solutions.
You must have:
- Demonstrated technical proficiency applying digital solutions;
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills, the ability to translate scientific and technical terms into plain language;
- The ability to work both independently and as part of a team with minimal supervision; and
- Experience in an academic research environment.
We try to ensure our team members have complementary skill sets that address most of the disciplinary areas of our clients. As such, skills or experience in any of the following will be considered an asset:
- Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Deep Learning, TensorFlow
- GPU computing: CUDA, OpenACC, or OpenCL
- Parallel computing and use of HPC environments
- Data analytics and scientific visualization
- Experience preparing and delivering tutorials, workshops, lectures, or seminars
- Experience in multiple programming languages (such as R, Python, C/C++, Fortran)
- Experience using IaaS cloud offerings such as AWS or GCP
- Ability to develop, program, and query databases
- Background in computational fluid dynamics, bioinformatics, or geomatics
- Fluency in French
Work With Us
This is an opportunity to work with a small, well-educated, cohesive and highly supportive distributed team with a skill set that runs deep. At our core is a continuous learning culture with opportunities for self-learning and professional development, a strong client service mentality, a can-do attitude and a passion for solving problems and helping clients bring R&D to fruition. This position offers you the ability to take initiative, create and execute your own projects in support of our mission. Through ACENET's partnership in the Digital Research Alliance of Canada Federation, you will also have opportunities to work with a highly skilled, varied group of peers across the country.
You will be part of a team that works for a diverse clientele doing every kind of research imaginable - developing lighter aerospace materials, analyzing Shakespeare, engineering ship propellers, mining historical documents, creating green energy alternatives, informing public policy on nutrition, using AI to fight COVID, and many others. Areas as wide-ranging as nanotechnology, social science, advanced manufacturing, artificial intelligence, ocean science, arts and humanities, genomics, and health research increasingly rely on the tools, support and training provided by ACENET and the Alliance. Training delivered by ACENET helps to develop and retain high technology skills in Atlantic Canada, grow our innovation economy and create socio-economic benefits in the region.
Our employment benefits include include generous annual vacation, personal days, sick leave, tuition support, health benefits and pension plans through the universities which host us. Learn more about working with ACENET at https://ace-net.ca/careers.html
This is a full-time position funded by an external grant for one year, with expectation of renewal.
Closing date to apply is August 2, 2022. Please click the link below to apply.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.