Posted 8 days ago
Competition Number: 22001968
PLANT BREEDING TECHNICIAN
Cavendish Farms is a leading producer of frozen food products for retail and foodservice markets throughout Canada, the United States, and around the world. We have state-of-the-art potato processing plants in Prince Edward Island, Lethbridge, Alberta, and Jamestown, North Dakota, and an appetizer plant in Wheatley, Ontario. Our Head office is in Dieppe, New Brunswick and has sales office locations in Toronto, Montreal, and Boston.
Reporting to the Plant Breeder, the Plant Breeding Technician will assist and work with the Plant Breeding team in developing new potato varieties; with the objective of improving raw production quality, yield, and in turn overall customer satisfaction.
- Gather, interpret, record and report research
- Organize and maintain accurate and timely test results, files and records
- Assist in planning, organizing, and conducting scientific research in breeding
- Manage plants in the greenhouse and growth chambers including planting, watering, managing growth conditions, emasculations, pollinations, and seed harvest, cleanup and storage preparation.
- Rating of the crossing performance, maintenance of the data/records.
- Plan and installation of small research plots.
- Execution of field, greenhouse and laboratory trials.
Successful Candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor of Science degree required in Plant Sciences, Agronomy, Agriculture or Crop & Weed Sciences.
- Minimum two years' experience working in a plant breeding program.
- Ability and desire to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented, research environment.
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail and willingness to learn.
- Experience in the use of Microsoft applications and database programs
- Valid drivers license
Cavendish Farms is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible health, drug, dental, and vision plan
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs
- Health & wellness reimbursements, includes gym memberships, fitness classes or online workout programs
- Maternity leave top-up program (if applicable)
- RRSP matching program
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development as well as 24/7 access to online curated learning
- Growth and progression opportunities within Cavendish Farms and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies
- Relocation costs (if applicable)
Work Address - Cavendish Farms Research Centre 25533 RTE 2, New Annan, PEI.
Terms of Employment - This is a Permanent Full-time Position in New Annan, PEI - 48 hours per week
Language of Work - English
Salary - $45,000 to $70,000
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please apply online or email your resume to [email protected] referring subjet Plant Breeding Technician.
We appreciate your interest in our company! Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Cavendish Farms Corporation is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
Save for Later