Posted 17 days ago
Competition Number: 21006321
HEALTH, SAFETY AND ENVIRONMENT ADMINISTRATOR
Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7, and 35 Micmac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3A 4Y8, Irving Shipbuilding has a proud history as Canada's shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited group of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in North America. Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 20 modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada's National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history. We have delivered two Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ships, the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years and we're just getting started. The third ship will be delivered in 2022.
We're growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada's shipbuilding industry and provide Canada's sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada's interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants. We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is seeking a Health, Safety and Environment Administrator to join the HSE team. This is a permanent full-time role based in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia. The primary language of work is English.
We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women (applying for non-traditional positions), persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of the 2SLGBTQ community. ISI encourages applicants to self-identify in the cover letter/resume portion of your application. Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment where all employees feel supported and valued.
- Education Required: High school or trade certification/college diploma
- Advance diploma in business administration is an asset
- Years of Experience Required: 3 years of experience in a coordination/administrative position
- Strong computer skills and experience in MS Office Suite and Windows
- Strong knowledge of the following programs is a requirement: MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook, Adobe Acrobat
- Must have excellent communication and organizational skills
- Must have experience with prioritizing workloads and multi-tasking
- Must work well in a team environment
- Must have purchasing experience
- Knowledge of JD Edwards, Intelex or similar would be considered an asset.
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- Administrative support to the Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) team
- Compiles, distributes and files (as necessary via various mediums) key HSE documentation/records including: HSE Reports, Investigations, Statistics (Weekly & Monthly), and Weekly HSE/Toolbox Talk Communications.
- The main ISI point-of-Contact/Administrator for Intelex & Intelex Support - including classifying incidents, initiating/closing Investigations, and offering general support for ISI Users.
- Ensures Incident Investigations and Open Corrective Actions from Investigations are actioned/closed out in a timely fashion.
- Purchaser (also known as Buyer) for the HSE department (i.e.: Office supplies, HSE training/supplies, etc.)
- Coordination of respiratory fit testing, Emergency Response Team (ERT) training, invoice management and scheduling
- Data management for the HSE team. Development, maintenance, and support of HSE metric trending/tracking database and dashboard programs
- Manages/coordinates audit preparations for external audits/inspections. In addition, supports the HSE Team in the conduct/completion of internal departmental auditing.
- Supports HSE in the facilitation of continual improvement initiatives
- The primary JOHSC Point-of-Contact for all ISI Business Locations (5), and ensuring/supporting collaboration and legislative compliance by all ISI JOHS Committees
- Assists/coordinates audit preparations for external audits/inspections. In addition, supports the HSE Team in the conduct/completion of internal departmental auditing.
- Collects, analyzes and presents HSE data collected from various sources, both internal & external, to be presented to management.
- Maintaining spreadsheets and databases
- Maintain Physiotherapy bookings
- Invoice management
- File maintenance
- Maintain and update work instructions
- Reporting of metrics/KPI
- Liaise with Comms to promote HSE initiatives/programs.
- Schedule meetings and training
- Attend and record minutes of meetings.
- All other duties as assigned.
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan;
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs;
- RRSP matching program;
- Health & Wellness reimbursements;
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development;
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies.
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as 'Safety Sensitive' where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
For further details, please contact Recruitment at [email protected]
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here .
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Save for Later