Development Officer / Building Inspector – Entry Level
CLOSING DATE: 11:59 p.m. - December 5, 2021
Reporting to the Planning Director, the Development Officer / Building Inspector will be responsible for the enforcement of By-Laws and Regulations provided by the Community Planning Act (CPA) and the National Building Code (NBC). The individual will be responsible for informing and advising the Director of Planning, Planners, Development Officers and other inspectors when a development involves that proficiency. The employee will also inform and advise members of councils, clients, lawyers, surveyors and any governmental departments in the process of upkeeping requirements prescribed by the (CPA) within the Kent RSC territory.
The tasks of the Development Officer / Building Inspector are as follows:
- Provide customer service for development projects and permit applications.
- Approve developments when they comply with the National Building Code, by-laws and planning regulations applicable to the land in question.
- Maintain and classify files to ensure proper tracking and transparency.
- Process and follow up on variance requests.
- Prepare, process, and follow up on assigned development files.
- Inspect accessory buildings and main residential buildings.
- Issue notices of non-compliance and prohibit development until the development application complies with the National Building Code, the Community Planning Act, the Municipal Plan, the Rural Plan, Zoning and Subdivision By-laws or any other by-law or regulation that would affect the development.
- Collaborate with planners and other officers in complex planning matters.
- Prepare various reports related to the development.
- Educate clients and professionals on sustainable development concepts and principles.
- Maintain and increase professional knowledge through various continuing education programs.
- Any other duties as assigned by the Director.
The ideal candidate will have the following profile:
- Post-secondary degree related to architecture, urban planning, urban technology, engineering, geography, or any other related field
- College or university level or work experience in these fields
- Possess a respectable knowledge of the New Brunswick Community Planning Act.
- Be conversant of the National Building Code
- Ability to obtain a Level 1 Inspector certification from the NBBOA within a maximum of three years of employment.
- Able to speak and write in both official languages of New Brunswick.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Good analytical and decision-making skills.
- Autonomous, team player and dynamic.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office or similar software, comfortable with technologies.
- Possess a valid driver's license and reliable transportation
Work With Us
- Permanent position - entry level
- Full time, 35 hours per week, Monday to Friday.
- The work location will be at the Kent RSC's office located in Richibucto.
- The incumbent will be required to travel as part of their duties to meet with clients, conduct inspections and prepare files.
- Can occasionally work remotely
- Flexible schedule - The performance of duties will occasionally require the employee to be available on evenings and weekends.
Start date scheduled for Monday, January 10, 2022.
Any candidate will need to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19, or a valid medical certificate exempting them from the vaccine.
Anyone interested in this position can send their resume and a cover letter addresed to Jean Y. Goguen, Planning Director.
Only successful applicants will be contacted for an interview.