Posted 15 days ago
Competition Number: 21005847
MODELING and SIMULATION SPECIALIST
- CANADIAN SURFACE COMBATANT (CSC)
Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax and 35 Micmac Boulevard in Dartmouth, Irving Shipbuilding has a long history as Canada's shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving Limited group of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
Since 2012 we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in North America. Over the next 30 years, our shipbuilders will construct 20 modern patrol ships and surface combatants, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history, for the Royal Canadian Navy and Canada's National Shipbuilding Strategy. In 2020 we delivered the lead Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship (AOPS), the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years, and we are just getting started.
We are growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada's shipbuilding industry and provide Canada's sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada's interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants. We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is seeking a MODELING and SIMULATION SPECIALIST - CANADIAN SURFACE COMBATANT (CSC).
This is a permanent,full-time role based in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia.The primary language of work is English.
The Modeling and Simulation Specialist will fulfill a key role in the Canadian Surface Combatant (CSC) Systems Engineering Team. This position will be responsible for assessing the subcontractor's Modelling and Simulation (M&S) and M&S Verification, Validation and Accreditation (VV&A) processes. This position will also be responsible for executing the corresponding processes within ISI and ensure that they are conducted in accordance with the overall CSC Project engineering management plans. The M&S Specialist will also coordinate with the individual product teams supporting domain specific models and simulations
The CSC M&S effort includes areas such as analysis of combat system performance, platform performance, topside design, ship's signatures, human factors, and supportability. M&S capabilities that have undergone VV&A will be incorporated into the 'CSC Synthetic Ship' to represent the integrated system capabilities and characteristics as design progresses. The successful candidate will ensure that 'Synthetic Ship' will be employed to support the CSC design process, associated decisions, and ensure it evolves into the required integration and test tools and facilities.
Reporting to the Systems Engineering - Requirements and Verification Team Lead, the successful candidate will be required to work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders representing the Royal Canadian Navy, the CSC Warship Designer (WD), and the CSC Combat System Integrator (CSI) to ensure that compliant solutions are delivered to the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN).
- Participate in the CSC Working Group structure to coordinate and manage all RCN, ISI, WD, and CSI stakeholder M&S interests
- Providing knowledge and insight into naval systems, development of corresponding M&S capabilities, their VV&A, application, and analysis of results
- Monitoring and evaluating of the CSC Warship Designer, the Combat Systems Integrator, and other subcontractors M&S efforts to ensure their respective M&S capabilities and VV&A processes are fit-for-purpose, and that their models and input data are being applied appropriately, and resulting data is interpreted and reported correctly
- Employ M&S outputs to provide engineering guidance as follows during design, integration, and test activities as required to achieve fully compliant, safe, and certified CSC solutions
- assessing integration risks
- conducting design verification
- informing major project decisions
- providing evidence of design maturity
- planning, de-risking, and predicting the outcomes of large-scale live acceptance tests
- demonstrating compliance with technical requirements and operational needs that would be impractical to conduct with actual systems in a live test
- quantifying Measures of Effectiveness and Measures of Performance
- assessing the impact of design changes
- Liaison with both RCN and Sub-contractor M&S specialists to evaluate models, VV&A, input data, and results in terms of their suitability for use in the CSC Project engineering process, and resolving associated issues
- Develop, document, and evaluate deliverables related to M&S plans and reports, and all other deliverables that incorporate M&S results
- Liaison with the WD, CSI and OEMs to extent of contractual and IP boundaries to transfer as much M&S knowledge to ISI as possible
- Develop, document, and evaluate ISI governance plans, procedures, and processes related to M&S project activities
- Planning, scheduling, coordinating, and conducting M&S activities to ensure that related program milestones are met
- Preparation of accurate status reports on assigned M&S activities
- Establish and maintain a strong working relationships with internal (Shipyard Production, CSC Program personnel) and external stakeholders (subcontractors and Canadian government staff)
- Be a role model for professional behavior
Successful candidate will possess the following education:
- A Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Mathematics, or Physics.
Successful candidate will possess the following experience:
- A minimum of five years' experience in the following fields:
- Engineering in large, complex defense engineering projects involving coordination with multiple complex organizations
- Experience of Systems Engineering disciplines and tools
- Direct involvement in modelling complex integrated systems employing multiple M&S applications in support of product design and acceptance
- Understanding the operational employment of integrated weapon system
- Excellent time management, written, and oral communication skills
- Desirable experience includes:
- Understanding of Combat and Platform System Architectures
- Understanding of ship construction
- Direct involvement in design, integration and test of complex integrated systems, and the use of synthetic environments
- Experience in engineering for Naval platforms
- Experience working in design, production and / or test on a ship construction program
- DOORs requirements Management tool experience
- Model Based Systems Engineering (SysML, UML)
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Secret Clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan;
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs;
- RRSP matching program;
- Health & Wellness reimbursements;
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development;
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of compani es
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as 'Safety Sensitive' where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for their own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
For further details, please contact [insert Talent Acquisition Specialist Name] at [insert TA Specialist email]. *for non LMIA postings, include the general recruitment email: [email protected]
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Save for Later