Chief Administrative Officer (CAO)
Steeped in history, Lunenburg clearly has its eyes set on the future. A fully developed Comprehensive Community Plan is in place and ready for an experienced strategic executive to spearhead this journey of opportunity. The Town of Lunenburg (pop: ~2300) is in close proximity to Halifax and the international airport and boasts some of the most iconic scenery in North America. Suddenly the world has awoken post-pandemic to see the benefits of living and working in this UNESCO designated World Heritage community. We are poised for growth and excited by the limitless potential.
Reporting to the Mayor and Council as the municipal executive lead, the CAO ensures that the bylaws, policies, Comprehensive Community Plan (CCP), decisions, etc. of Council are effectively implemented. The CAO provides objective advisory and information functions to assist Council decision making and inform Council on the operations and affairs of the Town in collaboration with the Town's management team. The duties and responsibilities of the CAO are further described in the MunicipalGovernment Act, Municipal Elections Act and Town bylaws and policies.
The CAO is responsible for…
- The administration of the Town in accordance with the bylaws, polices, strategic plan, decisions, programs, budget, etc. adopted by Council.
- Leading the development, periodic updating, and implementation of strategies and operational plans to guide the direction and work of the organization to achieve the Town's long-term vision.
- Supporting the Mayor and Council in determining policy by providing counsel relative to proposed Town initiatives taking into account relevant consideration such as other levels of government objectives, social and economic trends, advice of staff, advice from legal counsel, and community interests generally.
- Managing a Town human resource system in accordance with relevant Town bylaws and policies, Town collective agreements, employment contracts, Provincial legislation, budgets, etc.
- Acting as Municipal Clerk providing a system of record keeping of municipal documents including Council and Committee meeting minutes, reports, bylaws, policies, and other Town records.
- Researching, drafting, reviewing, and recommending proposed Town bylaws and policies, contracts, legal action, etc. and amendments in collaboration with the Town solicitor or other legal counsel as required.
And will possess…
- Master's level degree in Business, Public Administration, or relevant field.
- Minimum five years' senior management experience.
- Experience in municipal government or a relevant field.
- The ability to plan and implement transformational change for the Town.
- An ability to make timely, informed decisions.
- Exceptional people skills.
- A passion for community and economic development.
- Demonstrated progressive leadership skills.
In addition to the benefits of living and working in the Town of Lunenburg, we offer…
A competitive salary commensurate with experience. The Town of Lunenburg also offers a comprehensive benefits package including defined contribution pension plan.
Please send a resume and cover letter in confidence to email@example.com with Lunenburg CAO the subject line.
While we thank you for your interest, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Welcoming and Inclusion
The Town of Lunenburg is committed to the fundamental principles of equal employment opportunity in accordance with the Nova Scotia Human Rights Act and the Accessibility Act.