Education Experiences Assistant – Casual
Magnetic Hill Zoo
Job # C496B
CLOSING DATE: NOON - OCTOBER 12, 2021
The City of Moncton is currently accepting applications for the casual position of Education Experiences Assistant in the Magnetic Hill Zoo's Education division. The Education Program Assistant's role is to:
· Develop and direct the Zoo's summer day camp program
· Develop and deliver the Zoo's other education programs and visitor experiences
· Develop and deliver the Zoo's fundraising events
The candidate must have excellent oral communication skills in both official languages with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with children and youth aged participants, the participants' parents, volunteers, customers, and summer students. The position requires strong leadership, supervisory, conflict resolution, organizational, and decision making skills; self-motivation; attention to detail; the ability to work both individually and in a team; in a fast paced environment; and with a variety of age groups. The candidate must be willing to hold and present live exotic animals on a daily basis. Knowledge of environmental conservation and experience in animal husbandry would be an asset.
Position type: 10 month renewable term with full time hours
· High school graduation or equivalency.
· Must have completed a post?secondary education from an accredited institution in Education, Early Childhood Education, Educational Assistants, or a related field.
· Workplace Standard First Aid certification.
· Must have a minimum of two (2) years' experience in performing similar or related duties.
· Must have a minimum of two (2) years' of supervisory experience.
· The ability to function fluently in both official languages (English and French) is a requirement. As per provincial language proficiency standards, functional is determined to be at the Intermediate+ (2+) level or higher.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
· Computer knowledge of Microsoft Word, windows applications and email.
· Excellent communications skills.
· Good judgment when working with children.
· Professional manner.
CONDITION OF WORK:
· Variable hours including evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Work With Us
WORKING AT THE MAGNETIC HILL ZOO:
The Magnetic Hill Zoo's 40 acre park provides a friendly environment for visitors to experience an appreciation for and connection to more than 70 indigenous and exotic species.
Throughout the year, the Zoo hosts special seasonal events and fundraisers. Educational programming is also available via day camps, behind the scenes experiences, guided tours, daily summer time keeper talks, and more.
This position is a non-unionized position.
APPLYING FOR THIS POSITION:
The City of Moncton is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants must submit their application through an online system that can be found at www.moncton.ca/careers.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those invited for interviews will be contacted.
For more information, please contact the Human Resources Department at
506-877-7707 or visit moncton.ca/careers for information on the hiring and application process at the City of Moncton.
Atlantic Canada's leading zoo that educates and inspires conservation action
Working together to enrich the lives of animals and to provide visitor experiences that inspire a connection to and action for nature
Sustainable, Diverse, Creative, Engaged, Leaders
CORE ORGANIZATIONAL BEHAVIOURS:
Accountability, professionalism, respect, and excellence