DIRECTOR, HUMAN RESOURCES
Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7, and 35 Micmac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3A 4Y8, Irving Shipbuilding has a proud history as Canada's shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited group of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in North America. Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 20 modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada's National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history. This year we delivered the second lead Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship, the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years and we're just getting started. The third ship will be delivered in 2022.
We are growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada's shipbuilding industry and provide Canada's sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada's interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants. We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is seeking a Director, Human Resources.
This is a permanent full-time role based in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia. The primary language of work is English. We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women (applying for non-traditional positions), persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of the 2SLGBTQ community. ISI encourages applicants to self-identify in the cover letter/resume portion of your application. Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment where all employees feel supported and valued.
- Education Required: Relevant undergraduate degree. MBA and/or professional CPHR designation or equivalent.
- Years of Experience Required:
- 10 years of human resources experience in a major shipbuilding yard, defense contractor, or heavy manufacturing environment.
- 8 years as a senior people leader with an HR team of 20 or more.
- Depth of knowledge in a wide variety of HR competency areas.
- Ability to work collaboratively with multiple stakeholders and achieve required objectives.
- Demonstrated effective organizational, problem-solving, planning and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated use of sound judgment and reliable decision making.
- Strong organizational skills and a high degree of self-motivation and business acumen.
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- Serving a senior member of the HR leadership team and is responsible for setting and executing the strategy of the HR organization in collaboration with the Vice President and other HR Directors.
- Leading a multi-disciplinary team of HR professionals which may compose any number of HR competencies (Organizational Effectiveness, Organizational Development, Talent Acquisition, Strategic Talent Management, Compensation, Time and Attendance, Labour Relations and HR Advisory Services).
- Maintaining close relationships, coordination, and collaboration with executive leaders, directors and people leaders and union officials across ISI and JD Irving to meet all program requirements and to ensure production schedules are met and organization-wide strategies are successfully implemented. and thereby further enhance the company's well-established reputation for overall quality and customer service.
- Developing the capability of the HR team as a whole and provide sound and engaging leadership.
- Adeptly analyze industry trends, human resource best practices and evolving technology to proactively identify HR-related issues to maximize our organizational effectiveness and further enhance our organizational culture.
- Leading the labour relations and people strategies to ensure all requirements are met, key metrics and balanced scorecard results are achieved, and risks are minimized. This will include the development and execution of a negotiation strategy that delivers against business objectives and achieves sustainable relationships with our unionized workforce.
- Strategic problem-solving, using sound judgement, and anticipating, communicating, and navigating challenges frequently associated with managing issues and opportunities within a complex work environment.
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- Relocation Package (where applicable)
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan;
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs;
- RRSP matching program;
- Health & Wellness reimbursements;
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development;
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies.
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as 'Safety Sensitive' where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
For further details, please contact Recruitment at [email protected]
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.