Finance and Treasury Board
Pay Band 6
The Finance and Treasury Board's Office of the Chief Information Officer Division has a career opportunity for a User Interface / User Experience (UI/UX) Specialist.
This is an opportunity to positively impact the lives of New Brunswickers by helping transform and modernize their experience accessing government services. By joining our progressive and cross-disciplinary Digital Transformation Team, you will work on digital transformation projects in support of the Government of New Brunswick's Digital NB strategy, and have the opportunity to learn, grow, innovate and create in a fast-paced agile environment.
Reporting to the Chief Technology Strategist, the successful candidate will:
Collaborate, facilitate, communicate:
- Collaborate with designers, developers, analysts, strategists, and business project teams to design top-tier user interfaces and experiences
- Facilitate research, design and testing to drive and determine design direction through evidence-based decisions
- Communicate and promote user centered design and UX best practices throughout the organization
- Effectively communicate the "why" behind your designs to successfully influence, motivate and inspire stakeholders
- Work within a cross-disciplinary team to develop holistic views of services and an understanding of affected demographics to identify gaps, pain points, user needs and opportunities for innovation in the design of new or improved digital services
- Translate user research, interviews, surveys, data, business and functional requirements into personas, journey maps, user flows and wireframes
- Have strong visual design skills and the ability to use visualization and prototyping tools to create conceptual designs, mock-ups, simple interactive prototypes, and elegant hi-fidelity user interface designs
- Understand interaction design patterns and how to effectively design UI for responsive mobile-first websites, web and mobile applications, and data visualizations
- Assist with visual design QA and communicate issues to QA and Senior Development to ensure design remains consistent, accessible, and aesthetically pleasing across devices and platforms
- Understand and explain complex technologies to provide high-level and in-depth subject matter expertise to the Government of New Brunswick in the areas of user interface design and user experience design
- Provide leadership, guidance, and direction for the development of best practices and policies around user interface design, user experience design and user centered design in the development of digital services
- Analyze the technology industry and market trends in the areas of UI and UX to determine potential impact on the organization
- Provide strategic advice and direction on the adoption and implementation of new approaches and technology
- Conduct and analyze qualitative and quantitative user research, including focus groups, interviews, and surveys
The successful candidate must possess:
- Master's degree in Applied Arts, Design, Computer Science, Software Engineering (or a related discipline).
- Minimum of 4 years of progressive work experience in web and/or application design with a focus on user centric design, user experience design and user interface design and implementation.
- Bachelor's degree in Applied Arts, Design, Computer Science, Software Engineering (or a related discipline).
- Minimum of 6 years of progressive work experience in web and/or application design with a focus on user centric design, user experience design and user interface design and implementation.
- A 2-year college diploma in Applied Arts, Design, Web and Mobile Application Development (or a related discipline).
- Minimum of 8 years of progressive work experience in web and/or application design with a focus on user centric design, user experience design and user interface design and implementation.
The successful candidate must provide:
A link to a portfolio containing at least 5 examples of work created within the last 5 years. Please describe your role and responsibilities for each. We will also accept a link to your portfolio on a creative network such as Behance, Dribbble, etc.
Links to 2 cloud-hosted design projects that are publicly accessible (Figma, Adobe XD, InVision, etc.) for work created within the last 3 years. Please describe your role and responsibilities for each.
A link to a UX case study for work created within the last 3 years. The case study must include 3 or more product images and describe the problem, the users, the process, your role, responsibilities, and the outcome.
Written and spoken competence in English is required. Please state your language capability and ensure that preferred language for assessment is identified on your resume.
Applicants must clearly demonstrate the essential qualifications to be given further consideration. Subject to the response to this competition, an equivalent combination of training and experience may be considered.
ASSET QUALIFICATIONS: Preference may be given to candidates that possess one or more of the following asset qualifications:
- Exceptional visual design skills and expertise
- Experience implementing WCAG 2.0 standards
- Experience designing and maintaining Design Systems
- Working knowledge of HTML5 and CSS3
- A strong portfolio containing examples of responsive mobile-first websites, applications, mobile apps and/or data visualizations
- Professional certifications in User Experience Design (UX), User Experience Management (UXM), Customer Experience Design (CX), User-Centered Design (UCD), Design Thinking, Interaction Design (IxD), User Interface Design (UI), Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), Information Architecture (IA) or User Experience Research
BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES: The successful candidate will possess the following behavioral competencies: Client Service Orientation, Effective Interactive Communication, Relationship/ Network Building, Results Orientation, Teamwork and Cooperation, and Strategic Thinking.
TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES: The successful candidate will possess the following technical competencies: Specialized Subject Matter Expertise and Knowledge, Written Communication, and Knowledge of Group Facilitation.
Salary: PB6 $2,564 to $3,411 bi-weekly
Interested applicants are to apply on-line at www.ere.gnb.ca by June 28, 2021 indicating competition number: 21-FTB-32.
Human Resources Services
Phone: (506) 440-3544
We thank all those who apply however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Candidates registered with the Equal Employment Opportunity Program and veterans, who demonstrate they are among the most qualified, shall be given preference at the time of appointment.
We promote a scent-reduced environment.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The New Brunswick Public Service: Improving the lives of New Brunswickers every day!