Position Type: Regular, Full-Time
APPLICATION DEADLINE: JUNE 25, 2020
The Belledune Port Authority (BPA) is currently seeking a Harbour Master to join the diverse and growing team at the Port of Belledune! The Harbour Master would report directly to the President & CEO and provide effective and efficient leadership on the management of port operations within the limits of the Port harbour.
· Act as Marine Facility Security Officer (MFSO) for the Port Authority and carry out all tasks relating to the position;
· Ensure high standard of emergency preparedness and planning, including business resumption through regular audits, exercises, and drills;
· Provide marine and technical expertise to the Port, Board of Directors, and external stakeholders;
· Monitor ship schedules and movements, and follow the Canadian Coast Guard's maritime communications and traffic services (INNAV), coordinate berth requests in consultation with tenants, and ensure all regulatory compliance on terminals;
· Analyze the Port's performance using key indicators to develop and implement productive operational strategies;
· Collaborate with team members and partners to support, plan, and implement innovative and transformative projects;
· Carry out terminal inspections of Port facilities to ensure safety and security protocols are being followed and prepare reports following maritime or marine safety/security incidents;
· Consult the maritime report daily to monitor expected or berthed vessels and follow up with relevant agencies;
· Liaise with ship agents on behalf of the Port as required, and ensure all Port stakeholders are advised of key Port activities that could have operational impact;
· Work closely with Legal Counsel to monitor activities of lessees to ensure they are operating within lease requirements;
· Maintain awareness of capital and maintenance works and identify any potential operational impacts;
· Help to identify solutions to any issues and communicate as required.
· Completed Post-Secondary Education in a relevant field, or advanced certificate of competence as a merchant marine officer;
· Ideally minimum of eight (8) years of relevant marine operations experience;
· Marine Facilities Security Officer Certificate, or willing to obtain upon employment;
· Other relevant Transport Canada-issued marine Certificates of Competencies under IMO's STCW regulations;
· Demonstrated management and financial experience;
· Must be prepared to submit to a security check and be bondable;
· Must possess a valid NB Driver's License;
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including presenting complex information to non-specialist audiences;
· Ability to effectively network and build trust-based relationships, and represent the BPA at public events;
· Demonstrated computer/technological skills;
· Demonstrated knowledge, understanding, and familiarity of various international, federal, provincial, and municipal acts and regulations respecting the safe and secure operation of a federal Canada Port Authority;
· Flexible and able to work on various types of tasks and deal with multiple information sources;
· Creative, curious, proactive, and innovative.
This position requires the individual to work both in an office and team environment, as well as outdoors in a port marine terminal and industrial area. Normal business interruptions should be expected. The individual may be required to work or receive calls after normal working hours to meet company objectives. The individual must be willing to step outside of the job description and possibly take on additional responsibilities.
Work With Us
The Port of Belledune is a world-class deep-water facility with four marine terminals, offering exceptional year-round cargo handling capacity. Comprising of ultra-modern facilities and equipment and situated in a strategic location for accessing large North American markets, the Port has continued to grow and evolve over its 50+ year history.
Generating great economic spinoffs in the region, the Port continues to hold a strong role in supporting the local job market and continues to reinvest profits back into the community in the form of donations and sponsorships. In recent years, the Port has increased tonnage, profits, and revenue, and diversified its product mix, now handling a total of 27 different bulk commodities as of 2017.
The BPA is an equal opportunity employer and offers competitive compensation packages, as well as a unique and flexible work environment where employees are supported through teamwork and professional development opportunities. The BPA prides itself on its innovative and proactive approach to both employee relations and port operations.