OSCO Construction Group in Brampton, ON
With a solid history dating back to 1958, PreCon Precast Limited (now a member of the OSCO Construction Group) is known as a leading provider of architectural and structural precast concrete solutions with locations in Brampton and Woodstock. Across Ontario, you will find PreCon precast products and systems used in a variety of construction segments. Our value creation is cultivated by our workforce; a strong team built of Technical Sales, Engineering, Project Management, Production and Field Services. We pride ourselves in being leaders in precast concrete innovation; building more energy efficient, sustainable and safe structures.
PreCon's Brampton Engineering Department is seeking a Precast Design Engineer or EIT with a desire to continue hands-on learning on the job. The Precast Engineer will begin with design of prestressed concrete insulated sandwich wall panels under the supervision of a senior Engineer. This position is primarily a project design role. The Engineer interacts closely with Drafting, Project Management, Production, Quality Control and Field Erection Departments. As the Engineer develops, they may specialize in wall panels, or diversify into design of parking structures, bridge girder fabrication, plant engineering, field engineering and pre-bid engineering supporting sales/estimating. This position requires high attention to detail, reading specifications, architectural, structural, and steel fabricator drawings to ensure the precast design meets contract requirements. We are looking for a candidate who is comfortable working within rigid time constraints and diligent about file documentation. The Design Engineer will monitor the preparation of drawings, bills of material, and ensure their project stays on schedule. This position also responds to project specific fabrication questions from our inhouse manufacturing shop.
- Review all project documents including architectural, structural drawings and specifications
- Attend job meetings, communicate with external consultants & architects to develop project
- Prepare design calculations to meet codes, project specifications and summarize design to drafters
- Monitor the preparation of drawings and bill of materials, ensuring they are on schedule
- Check production and erection drawings meet the design and apply your Engineering seal
- Work with production and erection supervisors, as necessary to resolve issues
- Visit the plant and job sites as necessary to ensure design requirements are met
- Attention to detail is critical for design work in a precast concrete manufacturing environment
- Must get involved with production to learn extensive precast product knowledge on the job
- Ability to communicate well with other PreCon Departments, Architects, Engineers and Contractors
- Proficient computer skills in Microsoft Office and Structural Software (S-Frame), AutoCAD is an asset
- Bachelor of Applied Science in Civil Engineering
- A strong course background in Structural Design including Concrete, Steel and Welding
- Preferably some course work in Prestressed Concrete Design
- Licensed P.Eng in Ontario or ability to become licensed within 2 years
- Working knowledge of Ontario Building Code, CSA Codes (Bridges, Concrete, Precast, and Welding)
- A valid Ontario driver's license is an asset
- Interest in pursuing professional license for New York State and other states is an asset
As a member of the OSCO Construction Group, PreCon offer s a comprehensive compensation package including health and dental coverage, life insurance, RRSP and tax-free savings account options. Additionally, we offer educational scholarships to dependents of employees, health & wellness programming and team building events.
The origins of the OSCO Construction Group go back to 1955 when Ocean Steel & Construction Ltd. was founded in Saint John, New Brunswick. Since that time, the OSCO Construction Group has grown to encompass four main operating sectors: Steel , Concrete , Construction and Corporate . Within these sectors lie an ever-expanding number of companies and divisions, serving a growing market area and employing over twelve hundred employees.
The OSCO Construction Group prides itself not just in embracing change, but in leading it. We drive this change by maintaining our vision to be fast, be global and be connected. All of our sectors are committed to: conducting business with integrity and fairness; continuous education & training of our employees; improving our processes; focusing on our customers' needs; and, providing top quality products & service s.