Project Manager, Construction
Develop Nova Scotia is the crown corporation responsible for leading sustainable development of high potential property and infrastructure across Nova Scotia to drive inclusive economic growth in our province. Develop Nova Scotia plans with communities to develop inclusive, authentic places that attract people to visit, to grow their business, and to live. Its mission is to make Nova Scotia irresistible to people and investment. Learn more at www.developns.ca
We are currently recruiting for a Project Manager, Construction to join our team of dedicated professionals in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Reporting to the Senior Manager of Infrastructure Projects, you will be responsible for the management of assigned construction projects from conceptual design through to construction completion.
As the Project Manager, Construction, you will be responsible to effectively oversee and administer all phases of construction projects, while managing quality and maintaining schedules and budget targets. In collaboration with all project stakeholders (including tenants, community, funding partners, jurisdictional authorities, engineers, architects, contractors, etc.) you will be responsible for determining project design and construction requirements, managing permitting and licensing processes, and administering the procurement of contracts, design, construction, and handover to internal or external clients. Responsibilities include budget management and control, development of tenders and scopes of work, design and/or constructability reviews, site meetings and management of contractors and change order claims, and regular updates and communications with project including detailed progress reports, schedule updates, and cash flow projections.
Ultimately, you will be responsible for effectively managing a project plan from start to project turnover while ensuring adherence to all health and safety standards. Your approach will enable Develop Nova Scotia to achieve its desired outcomes in a supportive and collaborative team environment. While you would lead the delivery of specific projects, you would be involved in sharing input, ideas, and expertise on all of Develop Nova Scotia's construction projects.
Closes: May 14, 2021
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
Feasibility and Design Management:
- Participate with and support the senior team in short- and long-range infrastructure and property development planning;
- Develop and propose design solutions to the Develop Nova Scotia Planning and Infrastructure teams;
- Manage the design process with various project team members, consultants and/or project stakeholders and,
- Participate in the creation of project requirements and provide feedback at various stages of design from concept, design development to construction documents.
- Participate in the development of project specific procurement strategies and develop contractor scopes of work and specific project-related requirements and,
- Prepare, manage, and administer public tender of goods, services, and/or construction throughout contact negotiation and award.
Project Budget and Financial Reporting:
- Manage complex, multi-stakeholder, high-profile capital projects as they relate to planning and development projects, including financial and schedule progress reports;
- Create, track, and manage various project capital budgets to ensure project remains on budget and on time, while following all established internal controls;
- Review, revise, and approve invoice payments from project consultants and contractors and,
- Provide regular cost forecast to senior management on various projects.
- Develop preliminary project schedule as a planning tool, and identify risks, strategies and impact of decisions applicable to procurement, design and construction;
- Monitor vendor and contractor project schedules; identify risks and opportunities for improvement;
- Regularly report on progress updates and,
- Organize project handover of projects to operations or project stakeholders.
- Construction Project Management:
- Coordinate and work with authorities having jurisdiction on various projects.
- Ensure Develop Nova Scotia complies with regulations and government standards on
- environmental, safety, building code, and any other regulations;
- Manage consultant and contractor services and,
- Ensure that a sound project closeout plan is developed and successfully executed.
- Represent Develop Nova Scotia in complex development projects by others (private sector partners) and,
- Participate public consultation/engagement sessions on complex projects, where divergent opinions may be expected, and influence constructive discussion an asset.
As the ideal candidate, you possess the following qualifications and skills:
- A minimum of 10 years of experience managing construction projects and a professional Engineering designation or a post-secondary degree in the engineering field;
- Proven ability to develop creative and practical engineering solutions and to identify process improvement opportunities;
- Experience working in capital infrastructure implementation (between $2-$15 million), marine construction, horizontal or vertical construction, government, or regulated industries would be considered an asset;
- Well-honed negotiation and communication skills;
- Great organizational and time management skills with demonstrated ability to meet tight deadlines and manage multiple priorities;
- Team player with leadership skills who has a demonstrated ability to build relationships with a variety of stakeholders, leveraging a communication style that engages a varied audience;
- Proven ability to prioritize decision making and quickly integrate into a busy work environment and,
- A demonstrated ability to be adaptable and flexible, presenting creative solutions to keep projects on track.
By joining Develop Nova Scotia, you will be part of a nimble organization that is making a difference in the lives of community members by building great places. This is an organization that offers you work/life balance, a dynamic work environment and the chance to be involved with some of the most interesting projects taking place in our province. In exchange for the knowledge and experience you bring, you will be rewarded with a comprehensive compensation, benefits and pension package.
The goal of Develop Nova Scotia is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens they serve. Develop Nova Scotia is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from Aboriginal persons, African Nova Scotians and other racially visible persons, persons with disabilities, and women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. Members of these groups are encouraged to apply and may self-identify through their application materials if they wish.
Closing Date: May 14, 2021
Return Resumes to:
Attention: Anna Marenick
Develop Nova Scotia
Old Red Store, Historic Properties
Suite 301 - 1875 Upper Water St.
Halifax, NS B3J 1S9
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.