Plant Breeding Technician
Cavendish Farms in New Annan, PE
PLANT BREEDING TECHNICIAN
Cavendish Farms is a leading producer of frozen food products for retail and foodservice markets throughout Canada, the United States, and around the world. We have state-of-the-art potato processing plants in Prince Edward Island, Lethbridge, Alberta, and Jamestown, North Dakota, and an appetizer plant in Wheatley, Ontario. Our Head office is in Dieppe, New Brunswick and has sales office locations in Toronto, Montreal, and Boston.
Reporting to the Plant Breeder, the Plant Breeding Technician will assist and work with the Plant Breeding team in developing new potato varieties; with the objective of improving raw production quality, yield, and in turn overall customer satisfaction.
The successful candidate is continuously looking for opportunities for improvement and has the ability to quickly adapt to a fast paced, dynamic work environment.
- Gather, interpret, and record research and data collection, data entry and basic statistical analysis.
- Organize and maintain accurate and timely test results, files and records; ability to write a report.
- Assistance in planning, organizing, and conducting scientific research in breeding
- Management of plants in the greenhouse and growth chambers including planting, watering, managing growth conditions, emasculations, pollinations, and seed harvest, cleanup and storage preparation.
- Identification, evaluation and use of appropriate procedures to allow successful completion of experiments; data analysis using appropriate statistical procedures; summarizing research results, assist in presenting results.
- Rating of the crossing performance, maintenance of the data/records.
- Plan and installation of small research plots.
- Execution of field, greenhouse and laboratory trials.
- Coordination and supervision of temporary seasonal activities.
Successful Candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor of Science degree required in Plant Sciences, Agronomy, Agriculture, Crop & Weed Sciences.
- Minimum of two years of working full time in a plant breeding program.
- Demonstrated ability and desire to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented, multidisciplinary research environment.
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills in the English language.
- Attention to detail and willingness to learn.
- Working computer experience in the use of Excel, Word, PowerPoint and database programs, Statistic software.
- Valid drivers license.
- Certified Pesticide Applicators License or ability to be certified.
- Work with farm equipment an asset.
- Must be capable of lifting 50 pounds.
- Work outside under challenging weather conditions.
- Work longer hours seasonally, including weekends when needed for planting and harvest.
- Minimum 2 years experience working in tissue culture laboratories.
Work Address - Cavendish Farms Research Centre 25533 RTE 2, New Annan, PEI.
Terms of Employment - This is a Permanent Full-time Position in New Annan, PEI - 48 hours per week
Language of Work - English
Salary - $45,000 to $70,000
Benefits - Full benefits package which includes medical, health and dental plan and a retirement plan.
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please apply online or contact Isabel Pereira, Talent Acquisition Specialist, Pereira.Isabel@CavendishFarms.com
We appreciate your interest in our company! Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.