Technical Publications Supervisor
Job Title: Technical Publications Supervisor
Job Posting #: 5647
Department: Technical Publications
Department #: 3080
Reports To: Manager, Technical Publications
Date Posted: April 20, 2021
Position Type: Permanent
Supervise a staff of writers, editors, and translators in preparing high quality technical publications that relate to the description, installation, maintenance and related equipment for customer approval and subsequent publications.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Receive source data and ensure it is properly recorded in a Publications Management Database System.
- Monitor, evaluate and reassess short / long term priorities.
- Ensure editors and writers have the required specifications and source data to complete their task.
- Originate work packages and update the Publications Management Database as required.
- Co-ordinate work flow (writing, editing, Illustrating & Translating) between staff members.
- Ensure the Publication is technically correct / complete and the Publication is properly prepared for the customer's validation.
- Determine formats and policies relating to publishing services.
- Responsible for the linguistic integrity of publications.
- Liaise with customer technical authorities.
- Organize detailed work estimates and manage work expenditures.
- If required attend engineering review meetings, customer meetings and visit Customers facilities.
- Responsible for the day-to-day activities of the staff for which they are assigned.
- Ensure daily time sheets are properly completed.
- Monitor personnel problems of assigned staff.
- Perform Performance Appraisals for assigned staff.
- Other related duties as assigned by the Publications Manager.
- Post-secondary technical writing or editing training or equivalent experience, within a technical publication's environment.
- Preferred 1 to 5-year experience in supervisory role or comparable role, preferably in a technical publication's environment.
- Proven command of English grammar.
- Knowledgeable in the use of two or more of the following software platforms: MS Word, Adobe Framemaker, InDesign, Arbortext Epic Editor, Adobe Acrobat or comparable software for the creation of Technical Publications.
- Excellent verbal and above average written communication skills.
- Self-starter, dedicated to a high degree of accuracy, pride in workmanship, co-operative, able to work under pressure, thorough and meticulous, strong interpersonal skills and a commitment to quality.
- Familiarity with S1000D, ATA, CALs, MIL/STD Specifications, C-01-100-100/AG-006, SGML and XML would be considered a definite asset.
- Some knowledge of common Aircraft, Naval or Land mechanical, electrical or electronic systems may be considered an asset but is not required.
- Preference given to applicants with the capability to work in both official languages.
- Incumbents must be able to pass and maintain Public Works Government Services Canada (PWGSC) and Transport Canada security clearances
- Demonstrate a personal commitment to IMP Occupational Health, Safety and Environment policies. Continually focusing on your individual safety and the safety of others who may be affected by your work and to fully comply with all Federal Health and Safety Legislation.
- Participate in Continuous Improvement, Lean & 8S activities in your area.
- Must be eligible to meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and Canadian Government Security Clearances.
Qualified applicants are invited to apply on-line at www.impgroup.com.
Internal applicants please use source code: I am an IMP employee.
IMP is committed to Employment Equity and our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative at all job levels. We welcome applicants from Aboriginal People, Visible Minority Groups, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations of positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of the equity groups you are encouraged to self identify on either your application form, covering letter or resume.