Human Resources Generalist
OSCO Construction Group in Bedford, NS
Reporting to the Manager of Human Resources the position is responsible for providing ongoing guidance and support to operational sectors including; recruitment & onboarding, performance management, employee counseling, training & development, and employee relations. With a heavy focus on recruiting, the ideal candidate has a proven track record in and a passion for sourcing and selection, using traditional and innovative methods, while leveraging community/school partnerships. The successful candidate must possess an operational mindset and understand that HR initiatives must be aligned with operational goals and objectives, providing a consistent yet flexible support structure.
- Manage the Recruiting function for construction trades and hourly positions including workforce planning, candidate sourcing, pre-employment assessments and tours, assessing person-job fit and attending career fairs
- Act as the liaison with community and educational resources to optimize organizational partnerships
- Manage Labourer and Driver candidate pipelines
- Manage the onboarding/offboarding process
- Utilize and promote the use of employee self-service software by employees and managers
- Conduct employee information and training sessions
- Active participation in operational meetings (as required) providing input as relevant to the HR Function
- Coordinate employee engagement survey program
- Meet established quarterly targets and present results by way of PowerPoint presentation
- Various HR projects and initiatives in alignment with company goals
- Successful completion of University or Community College program with a concentration in Human Resources
- CPHR designation or working towards a designation would be considered an asset
- Experience in a recruiting role managing full-cycle recruitment and candidate sourcing using social media
- Experience working in union and non-union environments
- Technologically inclined and adept at learning new systems
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills coupled with proven ability to work well in an extremely fast-paced and deadline driven environment
- Demonstrated experience managing multiple and changing priorities without sacrificing deadlines
- Detail-oriented coupled with proven sense of urgency
- Organized self-starter who works effectively with minimal supervision and a high level of accountability
- Strong interpersonal skills with confidence in communicating at all levels of the organization coupled with the desire to work effectively and build trust with employees, operations and within the HR team
- Excellent business writing and grammar skills with the ability to create documents and presentations
- Comfortable presenting to employee groups on a variety of topics including new hire orientations and relevant employee training
- Travel within Nova Scotia and PEI as required
As a member of the OSCO Construction Group, we offer a comprehensive compensation package including health and dental coverage, life insurance, RRSP and tax-free savings account options. Additionally, we offer educational scholarships to children of employees, health & wellness programming, celebratory events and employee sport team sponsorships.
The origins of the OSCO Construction Group go back to 1955 when Ocean Steel & Construction Ltd. was founded in Saint John, New Brunswick. Since that time, the OSCO Construction Group has grown to encompass four main operating sectors: Steel, Concrete, Construction and Corporate. Within these sectors lie an ever-expanding number of companies and divisions, serving a growing market area and employing over twelve hundred employees.
The OSCO Construction Group prides itself not just in embracing change, but in leading it. We drive this change by maintaining our vision to be fast, be global and be connected. All of our sectors are committed to: conducting business with integrity and fairness; continuous education & training of our employees; improving our processes; focusing on our customers' needs; and, providing top quality products & services.