OSCO Construction Group in Saint John, NB
This position is responsible for providing safety leadership to management and employees through communication and guidance. In order to ensure success, the safety coordinator will effectively educate the workforce, ensuring a reduction in the number of workplace accidents.
As the safety coordinator, the ideal candidate must be able to brief employees on the day-to-day risks of the job, conduct orientations and discuss hazards and preventative measures with supervisors and management. Effective and persuasive communication skills are essential for success, as the safety coordinator needs to invest time to understand the trades and type of work conducted within our lines of business.
In general, this is a position where guidelines, structure, and established policies must be followed closely with necessary corrections being made in a constructive, supportive manner.
- Conducting new employee safety orientations and arranging additional training as necessary
- Assisting with the supervision of Hazard Assessments and Job Safety Analysis (JSA)
- Conducting monthly Health & Safety audits to assess the effectiveness of the Company Safety Program while identifying any areas for improvement
- Recommending corrective actions and follow up to ensure resolution of identified issues
- Making daily workplace inspections to identify unsafe actions and/or conditions
- Investigating and timely reporting of all incidents/accidents (personal injury, property damage, near misses, etc.)
- Organizing and facilitating of regular toolbox talks
- Active participation in monthly Joint Health & Safety meetings and effectively communicate safety information to division managers
- Additional duties as assigned
- Three to five years of relevant safety experience in an industrial/unionized environment ideally within the Construction Industry
- Strong knowledge of legislated requirements in applicable jurisdictions
- A detail-oriented focus with strong analytical expertise
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills coupled with proven ability to work well in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office programs
- Effective communication with all levels of management
- Professional Safety designation (CSS, CSO, NCSO, CRSP) would be considered an asset
As a member of the OSCO Construction Group, we offer a comprehensive compensation package including health and dental coverage, life insurance, RRSP and tax-free savings account options. Additionally, we offer educational scholarships to children of employees, health & wellness programming, celebratory events and employee sport team sponsorships.
The origins of the OSCO Construction Group go back to 1955 when Ocean Steel & Construction Ltd. was founded in Saint John, New Brunswick. Since that time, the OSCO Construction Group has grown to encompass four main operating sectors: Steel, Concrete, Construction and Corporate. Within these sectors lie an ever-expanding number of companies and divisions, serving a growing market area and employing over twelve hundred employees.
The OSCO Construction Group prides itself not just in embracing change, but in leading it. We drive this change by maintaining our vision to be fast, be global and be connected. All of our sectors are committed to: conducting business with integrity and fairness; continuous education & training of our employees; improving our processes; focusing on our customers' needs; and, providing top quality products & services.