Welder - Red Seal
Irving Shipbuilding in Halifax, NS
WELDER - RED SEAL
Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7, and 35 Micmac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3A4Y8, Irving Shipbuilding has a proud history as Canada's shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited group of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in North America. Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 20 modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada's National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history. This year, we delivered the lead Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship, the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years and we're just getting started. The second ship will be delivered in 2021.
We're growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada's shipbuilding industry and provide Canada's sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada's interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants. We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
Irving Shipbuilding is seeking Welders (Red Seal) for current and future opportunities.
We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women (applying for non-traditional positions), persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of the LGBTQ community. ISI encourages applicants to self-identify in the cover letter/resume portion of your application. Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment where all employees feel supported and valued.
- Education Required: Completion of college/CEGEP/vocational and Welder Trade Certification (4 Positions SMAW [current ticket], 4 Positions FCAW [current ticket], WHMIS Certificate)
- Years of Experience Required: 5-8 years
- You must be eligible to work in Canada to apply for this job
- A pre-employment physical is required
- A background check will be performed by the Company
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- Read and interpret blueprints or welding process specifications
- Work in a construction, maintenance/repair, new fabrication environment
- Perform Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW) in all positions
- Perform Flux Core Arc Welding (FCAW) in all positions
- Select the proper weld filler material
- Operate manual or semi-automatic welding equipment and semi-automatic flame-cutting equipment
- Operate air arc cutting equipment (carbon arc cutting)
- Set-up Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW) and Flux Core Arc Welding (FCAW) equipment for welding
- Lift, move, or position equipment at work sites
- Work in a shipbuilding and repair, steel industry environment
- Physical effort & work conditions:
- Candidates will be required to work at heights from ladders, scaffolding, and platforms
- Stand, stoop, bend, kneel, climb
- Work in confined spaces, inclement weather
- Support extended hours and overtime as business needs dictate
- Work may be performed indoors and outdoors
- You will frequently handle, lift, carry, and set up parts and equipment that weigh up to fifty (50lbs) pounds
- Occasionally, you may be required to lift and carry items that weigh over fifty (50lbs) pounds
What We Offer:
- Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, and vision
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Please be advised that some positions have been designated as 'Safety Sensitive' where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.