Irving Shipbuilding in Shelburne, NS
INDUSTRIAL MECHANICS / MILLWRIGHTS
Shelburne Ship Repair, a division of Irving Shipbuilding Inc., located at 29 Hero Road, Shelburne, Nova Scotia, B0T 1W0, is part of the J.D. Irving Group of companies and is in the business of repairing & maintaining vessels.
Shelburne Ship Repair is actively engaged in the repair & maintenance of DND & CCG vessels, as well as commercial vessels on the South West Shore of Nova Scotia.
The company's commitment to health, safety and care for its employees and the environment is an integral part of its business.
Shelburne Ship Repair is seeking Industrial Mechanics/Millwrights for current and future Engine Fitter opportunities.
We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women (applying for non-traditional positions), persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of the LGBTQ community. ISI encourages applicants to self-identify in the cover letter/resume portion of your application. Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment where all employees feel supported and valued.
- Completion of college/CEGEP/vocational or technical training
- Industrial Mechanic/ Millwright Certification
- Shipbuilding experience will be considered an asset
- Requires a minimum of 2 or more years of verifiable experience related to the Industrial Mechanic/Millwright trade
- Key skills related to this trade include: mechanical aptitude, problem-solving, communication, job planning/organizing and the ability to use trade-related calculations
- WHMIS certificate
- You must be eligible to work in Canada to apply for this job
- A pre-employment physical is required
- A background check will be performed by the Employer
Physical effort and work conditions:
- Candidates will be required to wear respiratory protective equipment and must comply with all safety regulations regarding the proper fit and use of this personal protective equipment
- Candidates will be required to work at heights from ladders, scaffolding, and platforms; stand, stoop, bend, kneel, and climb and work in confined spaces and inclement weather and support extended hours and overtime as business needs dictate. Work may be performed indoors and outdoors. You will frequently handle, lift, carry, and set up parts and equipment that weigh up to fifty (50lbs) pounds. Occasionally lift and carry items that weigh over fifty (50lbs) pounds.
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- Areas of specialization: marine repair, shipbuilding and repair, structural construction
- Read, interpret, plan and execute from drawings, blueprints and procedures
- Installation of new equipment
- Shafting and Main Engine alignment work
- Plan and perform rigging, hoisting/lifting and moving functions
- Measuring, layout, cutting and welding operations
- Maintain and use tools and equipment necessary to perform job functions
- Service existing mechanical components and systems where required
- Preventative and predictive maintenance, testing and commissioning equipment
What We Offer:
- Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, and vision
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form.
An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by the team at Shelburne Ship Repair. If the team sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position within Irving Shipbuilding at the Shelburne Ship Repair facility.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.