Deputy Project Director
Irving Shipbuilding in Halifax, NS
DEPUTY PROJECT DIRECTOR, ARCTIC AND OFFSHORE PATROL SHIPS (AOPS)
Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7, and 35 Micmac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3A4Y8, Irving Shipbuilding has a proud history as Canada's shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited group of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in North America. Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 20 modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada's National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history. This year, we delivered the lead Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship, the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years and we're just getting started. The second ship will be delivered in 2021.
We're growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada's shipbuilding industry and provide Canada's sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada's interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants. We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is seeking a Deputy Project Director, Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ships (AOPS).
This is a permanent full-time role based in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia. The primary language of work is English.
We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women (applying for non-traditional positions), persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of the LGBTQ community. ISI encourages applicants to self-identify in the cover letter/resume portion of your application. Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment where all employees feel supported and valued.
- Completed Bachelor's degree required (Engineering preferred) or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of 15 years' experience working in naval ship design, commercial shipbuilding, or other large military procurement program
- Proven ability to lead a team to achieve high performance levels in a complex fast-moving environment
- Ability to manage through teamwork and influence
- Knowledge of working with a Government and military customer
- Knowledge of program budgeting, scheduling and monitoring
- Knowledge of risk management processes and principles
- Strong personal time management skills
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively in English, both orally and in writing
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office
The following experience would be considered an asset:
- Experience managing large industrial projects to deliver products on budget and schedule
- Experience with Government customer interaction
- Experience managing competing priorities in a high paced and dynamic environment
- Experience preparing processes, plans, and reports
- Experience working with scheduling software such as Primavera P6
- Experience working with project reporting software such as Ecosys
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- Support the implementation and continuous improvement of the AOPS Project's strategy and plans
- Participate in the management and reporting of the Project's financial performance
- Participate in the management and reporting of the Project's schedule performance
- Lead the review, revision and submission of deliverables to the customer
- Regularly interact with diverse stakeholder groups to include, but not limited to, Operations, Planning, Engineering, and Supply Chain
- Conduct progress meetings with stakeholder groups for assigned work
- Prepare executive level progress reports and deliver update briefings both internally and to the customer
- Participate in management of, and negotiations with, vendors to include oversight of scope, quality and cost
- Conduct change management activities with vendors and the customer
- Identify and mitigate risks relating to the AOPS Project
- Seek out opportunities for improvement and operationalize them in business practices
- Supervise assigned personnel to ensure all aspects of the work are progressing in accordance with schedules
- Embrace a culture of teamwork and enthusiasm within the Project Management Team
- Be a role model for professional behavior
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan;
- Employee & Family Assistant Programs,
- RRSP matching program;
- Health & Wellness reimbursements;
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development;
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies.
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as 'Safety Sensitive' where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
For further details, please contact Recruitment at email@example.com
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.