Irving Shipbuilding in Dartmouth, NS
Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7 or 35 Mic Mac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, B3A 4Y8 Irving Shipbuilding has a proud history as Canada's shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited family of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in North America. Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 20 modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada's National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history. This year, we delivered the lead Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship, the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years and we're just getting started. The second ship will be delivered in 2021.
We're growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada's shipbuilding industry and provide Canada's sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada's interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants. We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women (applying for non-traditional positions), persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of the LGBTQ community. ISI encourages applicants to self-identify in the cover letter/resume portion of your application. Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment where all employees feel supported and valued.
The Design for Build, ( Manufacturing Engineer) , CSC is a full-time permanent position that will report to the Design for Build Spatial - Team Lead - CSC and will be responsible for Manufacturing Engineering activities to support the CSC Program.
The Type 26 frigate or City-class frigate is a class of frigate being built for the United Kingdom's Royal Navy. BAE Systems' Type 26 Global Combat Ship will provide the template for the Canadian Surface Combatant (CSC)
The Design for Build team provides focus on ensuring the design can be successfully and efficiently executed within the Halifax Shipyard.
The Key Responsibilities for Design for Build Manufacturing Engineer will be across the following workstreams:
- Develop the CSC Build Strategy
- Assess & improve the Build readiness/producibility for CSC
- Prepare & Conduct Design Governance Reviews
- Develop Build Simulation & Simulate Build Strategy duration
- Confirm major movement strategy
- Identify jig & fixture requirements
- Document CSC Product Families
- Develop build methods & workstation flow
- Create Module, Lockout & key equipment & critical item installation strategies
- Develop Coating Strategy, AC strategy, Quality Strategy, lift & turn strategy, launch strategy, Module strategy, Sub-Contract Strategy (Make vs Buy) & much more...
- Develop strategies for all Stages of Construction (SOC) to enable MBOM creation
- Identification and assessment of production requirements
- Work with stakeholders to complete a cost benefit analysis to resolve production issues ensuring Machine, Measurement, Material, Methods, Resourcing, and Environment aspects are resolved
- Review engineering requirements and establish procedures to ensure compliance for:
- Steelwork & Welding
- Pipe manufacture & Installation
- Mechanical Installation
- Launch, Unit Movements, Lift & turn
- Electrical Installation
- Tooling & Jigs
- Create Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) & Manufacturing Instructions (MIs)
- Establish Design Rules with the Design Agent
- Look to improve standardization and producibility in the design
- Conduct design reviews as part of a formal design acceptance program- work with the Design Agent to resolve issues
Successful Candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Degree or Diploma in Manufacturing/Production Engineering or similar
- 5 years' experience in a complex system manufacturing environment (particularly naval shipbuilding, commercial shipbuilding, offshore construction, and/or other large military procurement programs)
- Experience with manufacturing process assessment and development
- Experience creating production or process documentation (Manufacturing Instructions, Standard Operating Procedures and similar)
- Experience using Product Life Cycle Management, NC, Planning, MRP, or other Manufacturing software and systm.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively in English, both orally and in writing.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Products.
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan;
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs;
- RRSP matching program;
- Health & Wellness reimbursements;
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development;
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies.
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as 'Safety Sensitive' where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
For further details, please contact Recruitment at email@example.com
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.