Solution Designer, Irving Shipyard
J.D. Irving, Limited - IT Division in Halifax, NS
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
As the most modern shipyard in North America, Irving Shipyard is defined by its pace and appetite for change. If you're naturally curious and motivated by a fast moving environment this opportunity is truly once in a lifetime. The Canadian Surface Combatant project is the largest and most complex shipbuilding initiative in Canada since World War II. As a key member of the IT team solutioning technology for this massive undertaking, you will have a lasting impact on a National venture. Working closely with business stakeholders, analysts and technology specialists you will discover the challenges the business is facing, then produce solutions and designs that add real value and meet the needs of the business.
Effective collaboration will drive your success as an influential thought leader, as well as the ability to draw on your broad generalist IT experience. If you are looking for a truly unique opportunity in your career - this is it. Come make your mark on Canadian history with JDI IT!
The successful candidate will need to pass rigorous security clearances.
JDI IT?: Who we are and what we offer
At JDI IT,?the belief that what people experience matters more than technology?is part of our foundational core.
With over 300 employees, we offer?the opportunity to create real value by helping people and businesses work smarter. JDI IT supports?the entire J.D. Irving Limited group of companies which means we offer opportunities and experiences across a wide breadth of IT areas, businesses and industries. From forestry, to transportation, to shipbuilding, we are working directly with our business counterparts to align their strategies to continued advancements in IT. As a member of the JDI IT team, you will be a key player in enabling the business to win by overcoming obstacles and "getting it done"!
We believe in the power of diverse teams and invest in continuous professional growth. We are seeking naturally curious change makers looking to join a collaborative and motivated team. Come help JDI IT Raise the Bar!
- Guide on the effective use of solutions and architectures in order to achieve business outcomes in alignment with business requirements
- Provide solution architecture design and recommendations to project team
- Collaborate with project Business Analysts to understand business goals and support delivery outcomes
- Collaborate with other Architects for successful delivery of program streams and individual projects
- Lead in designing, specifying and selecting information system solutions, considering functionality, data, security, integration, infrastructure and performance
- Ensure alignment with the overall Application, Information and Technology principals
- Update the Enterprise Architecture repository maintaining impacted components, relationships and attributes
- Lead the organization in leveraging emerging technology and use knowledge of IT solutions to drive organizational change and support business process design
- Understand and support to software architecture design and support development team in developing solutions
- Estimate cost, and prepare business cases for IT solutions, considering infrastructure, licenses, development and support
- Post-secondary education in computer science or equivalent experience
- 5-7 years' experience in similar position, including at least 10 years in professional IT environment
- Experience providing technical direction
- Strong understanding of Microsoft technologies and Cloud
- Good understanding of architecting commercial off the shelf (COTS)
- Strong knowledge of the web application architecture, trends and emerging technologies
- Naturally curious, focused and driven with a high degree of professionalism and attention to detail
- TOGAF Certification
- Microsoft Certified; Azure Solutions Architect
We appreciate your interest! Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here .
J.D. Irving, Limited is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.