Irving Shipbuilding in Halifax, NS
SUPPORTABILITY MANAGER - CANADIAN SURFACE COMBATANT (CSC)
Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7, and 35 Micmac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3A4Y8, Irving Shipbuilding has a proud history as Canada's shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited group of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in North America. Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 20 modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada's National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history. This year, we delivered the lead Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship, the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years and we're just getting started. The second ship will be delivered in 2021.
We're growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada's shipbuilding industry and provide Canada's sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada's interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants. We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is seeking a Manager, Supportability.
This is a permanent full-time role based in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia. The primary language of work is English.
We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women (applying for non-traditional positions), persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of the LGBTQ community. ISI encourages applicants to self-identify in the cover letter/resume portion of your application. Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment where all employees feel supported and valued.
- Education Required: Engineering Degree
- Years of Experience Required:
- 15 years of experience related to RCN operations, in-service support, material acquisition, naval engineering and maintenance, doctrine, policy, orders, training, and procedures.
- Experience in managing fleet readiness and sustainment.
- Experience managing subcontractor/subordinate organizations to deliver on budget and schedule.
- Experience in RCN governance of naval materiel management
- Experience in engineering changes, naval capability introduction, inspections, tests, trials, evaluation, and acceptance
- Experience in naval material risk management and material certification
- Effective persuasive communication and interpersonal skills; and
- Problem solving skills and ability to lead and manage multiple priorities in a fast pace environment.
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- Manage and lead the activities of the sub-contractors in all areas of supportability of the integrated weapon system, CSC
- Collaborate with the Senior Operability Manager to assess and arbitrate end user input to the CSC requirements verification, design reviews, and progressive acceptance strategy of CSC
- Co-Chair the Supportability Cross Product Team and coordinate all required working groups for all aspects of CSC Supportability.
- Collaborate with the CSC Build Team to develop the In-Build care and custody and supportability strategy for CSC.
- Lead efforts to leverage RCN lessons learned and innovation in the development of an overall CSC operations and maintenance philosophy to meet RCN Force Posture and Readiness requirements.
- Apply RCN digital material readiness decision support tools to CSC in support of a more seamless Fleet Introduction.
- Coordinate the scheduling, planning and conduct of communication systems activities in support of program milestones.
- Interview, hire and manage personnel, including performance and career progression.
- Manage risk items relating to the CSC Supportability and Fleet Introduction areas of responsibility, including identification and risk mitigation planning, and management of risk responses; and
- Plan, manage and report on budgets, schedule and progress within the Earned Value Management (EVM) environment.
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan;
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs;
- RRSP matching program;
- Health & Wellness reimbursements;
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development;
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies.
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as 'Safety Sensitive' where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
For further details, please contact Recruitment at email@example.com.
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All ap plications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacte d to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.