Medical Communications Officer
Location: Dr. Leonard A. Miller Centre
MEDICAL COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER - REPOST
(UNDER CLASSIFICATION REVIEW)
Paramedicine and Medical Transport Program
Temporary, Call In
Hours: Based on the needs of the Department
Salary: CG-29 ($24.52 - $27.23) (Under Classification Review)
Competition Number: 2020005572
Posted Date: February 8, 2021
Closing Date: March 31, 2021
Eastern Health is the largest, integrated health authority in Newfoundland and Labrador employing approximately 13,000 dedicated employees and serving a population of more than 300,000 people. The authority offers the full continuum of health and community services including public health, long-term care, community services, hospital care and unique provincial programs and services. At Eastern Health we pride ourselves on providing the highest quality care and service possible to the people in our communities, in our region, and in the province. To do that, we employ qualified, competent and caring individuals who are dedicated to their professions and to our vision of Healthy People, Healthy Communities.
The position of Medical Communications Officer (MCO) works within in the Medical Communications Centre (MCC) with accountability to ensure coordination and balanced ambulance coverage to all communities within the designated coverage area. The MCO provides rapid response to requests for Routine, Emergency, and Non-Emergent Ambulance service, as well as coordinating the Flight Team and the Provincial Air Ambulance program. The MCO will work independently under the policies and guidelines of Eastern Health, reporting directly to the Operations Supervisor.
By applying for this job, you acknowledge an understanding that regular requirements and demands of this job include (but are not limited to):
- Occasionally lifts or moves objects weighing less than 25 lbs.
- Regularly required to sit at a work station for extended periods of time.
- Constantly uses fine finger precision work while working on a computer.
- Auditory demands include multiple phone lines ringing, listening for radio transmissions from ambulances, which have to be time stamped and entered into the computer, and background talking from other dispatchers and staff.
- Alertness and concentration are required when performing emergency medical dispatch work. Higher than normal levels of attentiveness or alertness for the health and safety of others is required at all times.
- Time pressures, interruptions, deadlines and lack of control over work pace are experienced when dealing with medical emergency dispatching and responding to 911 calls, listening to radio transmissions from ambulances and entering information into the computer.
- Completion of a recognized/approved Emergency Medical Dispatcher (EMD) certificate with the National Academy of Emergency Medical Dispatchers (NAEMD) is required - Information regarding the EMD certificate can be obtained by emailing -PMTQA@easternhealth.ca.
- Completion of Health Care Provider (HCP) - CPR is required.
- Completion of a recognized/approved Medical Terminology course is required.
- A typing score of 35 wpm and successful completion of a CritiCall Aptitude Test is required. Testing will be administered by the Employer.
- Knowledge of the general geography of the St. John's Metro and surrounding areas, including, but not limited to, major streets, highways, public transit, hospitals, and primary medical facilities is required.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Windows in a multi-screen computer environment is required.
- Demonstrated ability and dexterity in handling call-taking and dispatching functions using computer aided - dispatch, multi-line telephone, and radio communications systems is required.
- Demonstrated ability to define and carry out priorities as identified.
- Demonstrated ability work efficiently and effectively in a multi-tasking high stress environment is required.
- Demonstrated sound and rapid decision-making ability under stressful conditions is required.
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal communications and customer service skills to deal with the public and co-workers is required.
- Demonstrated strong critical thinking, decision making and problem-solving skills is required.
- Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively in English is required.
- A satisfactory record of work performance is required.
*If medical terminology isn't current, a medical terminology test may be administered by the Human Resources Department.
Open to External Applicants.
Apply online at https://employment.easternhealth.ca
To become a part of our team, please submit your resume/cover letter or application form online, clearly demonstrating how you meet the required qualifications. Include your current mailing address, day-time contact number, e-mail address, competition and employee number if applicable.
Contact Information for Recruitment Related Inquiries:
Telephone: (709) 777-5336
Email: Danielle.firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications/resumes are not accepted at this email address.
EXTERNAL APPLICANTS: We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate will be required to provide a satisfactory Certificate of Conduct from the RCMP or local Police (Vulnerable Sector Check may be required), educational documents, registration/licensure if applicable and Social Insurance Number.