Lean Technician - 3 Month Term
Irving Shipbuilding in Halifax, NS
LEAN TECHNICIAN - 3 month term
Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7, and 35 Micmac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3A4Y8, Irving Shipbuilding has a proud history as Canada's shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited group of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in North America. Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 20 modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada's National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history. This year, we delivered the lead Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship, the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years and we're just getting started. The second ship will be delivered in 2021.
We're growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada's shipbuilding industry and provide Canada's sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada's interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants. We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is seeking a Lean Technician - 3 month term.
This is a permanent full-time role based in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia. The primary language of work is English.?We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women (applying for non-traditional positions), persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of the LGBTQ community. ISI encourages applicants to self-identify in the cover letter/resume portion of your application. Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment where all employees feel supported and valued.
- Education Required: Post-Secondary Degree (Degrees related to business, engineering, supply chain management or manufacturing are preferred),
- Years of Experience Required: Minimum of 1 years' experience working in a similar role,
- Experience in the collection, analysis and reporting of performance information,
- Strong computer skills and experience,
- Strong knowledge of the following Programs is a requirement: MS SharePoint, MS Excel, MS Access, MS Word, MS Outlook, and Adobe Acrobat,
- Must have excellent communication skills (written and spoken),
- Results orientated and ability to influence others,
- Must be flexible and competent with prioritizing workloads and multi-tasking to meet tight deadlines,
- Must work well in a team environment.
- Coordinate the collection of production performance information with production supervision and managers,
- Analyze production performance information and prepare key performance indicators, graphs, reports and dashboards that can be used by production supervision and management to increase operational efficiency, throughput and quality,
- Coordinate and manage improvement ideas and actions that are collected by production supervision at their daily performance board meetings,
- Coordinate an area 5S program,
- Conduct shop floor checks to ensure established controls continue to be effective,
- Supports weekly production readiness meetings to ensure all necessary tools, equipment, material and production information is available towards advancement of the program schedule,
- Train and promote production personnel in the use of the rewards and recognition system to encourage performance improvement on the shop floor.
- Manage performance management information system,
- Support performance management efforts including the capture of metrics, opportunities for improvement & norms,
- Coordinate production performance meetings,
- Assist production supervision track incomplete work,
- Audit to ensure Performance Management improvement actions are sustained.
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as 'Safety Sensitive' where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
For further details, please contact Recruitment at email@example.com.
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click?here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.