Mechanical Team Lead
Irving Shipbuilding in Dartmouth, NS
MECHANICAL, TEAM LEAD
Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7, and 35 Micmac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3A4Y8, Irving Shipbuilding has a proud history as Canada's shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited group of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in North America. Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 20 modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada's National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history. This year, we delivered the lead Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship, the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years and we're just getting started. The second ship will be delivered in 2021.
We're growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada's shipbuilding industry and provide Canada's sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada's interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants. We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is seeking a Mechanical Team Lead.
This is a permanent full-time role based in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia. The primary language of work is English. We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women (applying for non-traditional positions), persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of the LGBTQ community. ISI encourages applicants to self-identify in the cover letter/resume portion of your application. Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment where all employees feel supported and valued.
- Academically qualified as an engineer with a recognized Engineering Degree able to eventually achieve a Professional Engineer designation in Nova Scotia, Canada
- Seven plus years of design and integration experience with shipboard marine systems
- Two plus years leading or managing technical teams including team member task work assignments
- Two plus years managing projects and/or subcontractors
- Experience preparing technical specifications for equipment and material purchase
- Strong communication and personal time management skills
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing
- Experience working on naval ship design or commercial shipbuilding
- Experience working with classification society rules and classification societies to achieve plan approval for shipboard items relating to mechanical systems
- Experience with managing impacts of naval requirements such as shock resistance, acoustic control and survivability, on shipboard equipment and systems
- Experience with system design for redundancy, distributed systems, and graceful degradation to support system and ship survivability
- Experience with support systems and services for combatant warfare equipment including weapons systems, and radar systems
- Experience integrating shipboard equipment with Integrated Platform Management Systems (IPMS), Health and Usage Monitoring Systems (HUMS), Battle Damage Control Systems (BDCS), and Integrated Bridge Systems (IBS)
- Experience preparing calculations and reviewing subcontractor calculations
- Experience working within an Integrated Business Management Environment (IBME) that includes an integrated suite of software customized for design and construction including 3D modeling software, catalogue management, planning, and construction management
- Experience interfacing and working with subcontractors
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- Lead and supervise staff and embedded contractors in the CSC Mechanical Team with a focus on coordination of team activities and the mentoring of junior team members
- Facilitate and oversee subcontractor development of design deliverables and technical purchase specifications relating to mechanical systems, propulsion, HVAC, and associated piping systems
- Participate in Integrated Product Teams in support of development of the CSC design
- Lead the review of mechanical systems, propulsion, HVAC, and associated piping systems content in technical design reviews
- Participate in negotiations with equipment and material vendors
- Assist in developing and implementing test plans and procedures and requirements verification tracking
- Develop and foster client and subcontractor(s) relationships
- Propose design and process improvements related to vessel producability, shipyard safety, and production performance
- Support change management relating to the Mechanical Team areas of responsibility
- Address risk items relating to the Mechanical Team areas of responsibility, including identification and risk mitigation planning
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan;
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs;
- RRSP matching program;
- Health & Wellness reimbursements;
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development;
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies.
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as 'Safety Sensitive' where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
For further details, please contact Erin Sloan at email@example.com.
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.