Irving Shipbuilding in Dartmouth, NS
SYSTEMS ENGINEERING CERTIFICATION MANAGER
Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7, and 35 Micmac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3A4Y8, Irving Shipbuilding has a proud history as Canada's shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited group of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in North America. Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 20 modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada's National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history. This year, we delivered the lead Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship, the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years and we're just getting started. The second ship will be delivered in 2021.
We're growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada's shipbuilding industry and provide Canada's sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada's interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants. We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is seeking a Certification Manager.
This is a permanent full-time role based in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia. The primary language of work is English.?We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women (applying for non-traditional positions), persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of the LGBTQ community. ISI encourages applicants to self-identify in the cover letter/resume portion of your application. Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment where all employees feel supported and valued.
- Education Required: Post-secondary degree in Engineering/Science discipline;
- Years of Experience Required:
- 8 years supervisory experience in an engineering environment;
- 8 years applicable trade experience in large complex maritime (preferably Defence) acquisition projects involving coordination between multiple organizations; and
- Practical application of standards and legislative requirements;
- Experience managing and working in design, integration, installation, and test of naval systems within warship construction programs is desirable;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; and
- Problem solving skills and ability to lead and manage multiple priorities in a fast pace environment.
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Secret Clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- Plan, estimate, organize, and coordinate work of the CSC Certification Team;
- Assign work, setting expectations and accountability for completion;
- Ensure quality and timeliness of work is completed within project milestones;
- Assign and status jobs/coordinate integrated schedule;
- Communicate with other team members to help achieve and maintain smooth work flow and a high degree of productivity;
- Foster an environment that is focused on safety, and recommend process improvement initiatives;
- Provide assurance that engineering process identified in the CSC project Systems Engineering Management Plan are being applied across the Engineering teams;
- Provide written and oral briefings to senior leadership;
- Develop the Certification Program with the Government of Canada;
- Manage the development and execution of the Certification Plan;
- Provide oversight and co-ordination of all Certification and Classification activities;
- Support the Government of Canada with the development of the CSC Weapons Certification Program;
- Enabling engagement with DND regulators;
- Ensuring alignment with Lloyd's Register Classification and the CSC Tailoring Document;
- Provide oversight and technical expertise to the wider Systems Engineering transverse area;
- Manage the development, execution and evaluation of documents related to certification, and classification;
- Review, analyze, and escalate issues regarding certification and classification that are required to demonstrate the achievement of specified certificates and class notations;
- Ensure Certification and Classification events meet Design Review entry & exit criteria prior to the events being executed; and
- Comply with all company policies and procedures.
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan;
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs;
- RRSP matching program;
- Health & Wellness reimbursements;
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development;
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies.
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as 'Safety Sensitive' where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for their own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
For further details, please contact Recruitment at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.