Senior Production Engineer
Irving Shipbuilding in Dartmouth, NS
SENIOR PRODUCTION ENGINEER
Loca ted at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7, and 35 Micmac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3A4Y8 , Irving Shipbuilding has a proud history as Canada's shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited group of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in North America. Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 20 modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada's National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history. This year, we deliv ered the lead Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship, the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years and we're just getting started. The second ship will be delivered in 2021.
We're growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada's shipbuilding industry and provide Canada's sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada's interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants. We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is seeking a Senior Production Engineer
This is a permanent full-time role based i n Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia. The primary language of work is English.
- Degree or other tertiary qualifications in a discipline of engineering, or equivalent experience.
- Some experience in Technical Project Management, preferably PMP Certified.
- 8 years of experience in a technical role related to Ship Construction Technical Drawings. Naval Ship related experience considered an asset.
- Knowledge of modern Shipyard Construction Methodologies and the Technical Support required to be successful, is considered essential to this role.
- Some experience working to classification society rules with regards to Technical Drawing requirements as well as production and material Certification Requirements.
- Some experience preparing technical specifications for equipment and material purchase
- Strong personal time management skills
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively in English, both orally and in writing
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- Support Technical Project Management & Direct Liaison with 3rd Party vendors & Subcontractors
- Work with internal stakeholders to develop clear set of requirements for various Technical SOW's that fall under the Transition to Build Team responsibilities .
- Ensure these requirements are clearly communicated to Third Party vendors / subcontractors and included in any sub-contractor Scope of Work (sub SOW).
- Collaborate with CSC program / contracts team to write the Technical portion of the sub-SOW as direct input to various Sub Contracts Terms & Conditions
- Focus on early identification of potential Schedule & Budget risks and proactively work together with Vendor on mitigation strategies. Follow up to ensure mitigation strategies are carried out and are successful.
- Collaborate with CSC Quality Team to ensure Quality Audits are carried out and any findings followed up on and remediated.
- Support development of meaningful KPI's to measure and manage Third Party Vendor performance against the project Integrated Master Schedule (IMS).
- Collaborate with Change Management (CM) Team to ensure CM process is flowed down and closely adhered to by each Sub Contractor.
- Review and comment on Sub Contractor deliverables and progress. Flag any potential issues to direct supervisor for immediate action.
- Participate in Manufacturing Packages definition for ISI TIER 2 suppliers (subcontracted activities).
- Prepare Technical training material and ensure familiarization with Planning, Production and Supply Chain teams on Engineering Delivery Packages and any other Engineering Sub-Contractor deliverables.
- Applicant must be willing and able for occasional overseas travel (post - Covid).
What We Offer:
- Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan;
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs;
- RRSP matching program;
- Health & Wellness reimbursements;
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development;
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of compani es.
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as 'Safety Sensitive' where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
For further details, please co ntact Recruitment at firstname.lastname@example.org
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.