Senior Information System Specialist
Irving Shipbuilding in Halifax, NS
SENIOR INFORMATION SYSTEMS SPECIALIST
Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7, and 35 Micmac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3A4Y8, Irving Shipbuilding has a proud history as Canada's shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited group of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in North America. Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 20 modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada's National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history. This year, we delivered the lead Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship, the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years and we're just getting started. The second ship will be delivered in 2021.
We're growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada's shipbuilding industry and provide Canada's sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada's interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants. We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is seeking a Senior Information Systems Specialist.
This is a permanent full-time role based in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia. The primary language of work is English.
- Years of Experience Required:
- Minimum of 7 years experience in the following fields :
- Designing complex, multi-layer, switched networks Coordination with a complex organization
- Designing fault tolerance, redundant, scalable, information system infrastructure
- Knowledge of Naval Combat System technology
- Experience in the installation and integration of hardware and software systems aboard Naval Platforms
- Minimum of 7 years experience in the following fields :
- Cisco Certified Design Professional
- Cisco Certified Network Professional (Any of: Routing and Switching, Data Center, Security)
- Designing secure networks
- Threat and vulnerability assessments
- Experience working with security appliances
- Experience in engineering for complex, integrated information systems
- Experience working in design, production and / or test on a ship construction program
- Experience in installation, integration and management of hardware and software systems in a land-based testing environment
- Project Management qualification or equivalent experience
- Windows Server design, deployment and support Virtualization design, deployment and support
- SAN/NAS design, deployment and support
- Complex LAN/WAN design, deployment and support
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Work with Canada and sub-contractors to design the CSC information system infrastructure (software, virtualization, networks, storage, security devices, architecture)
- Develop plans, processes and procedures as required in support of program requirements
- Coordinate the scheduling, planning and conduct of assigned integration activities in support of program milestones
- Define the requirements for, and plan the development of, a land-based CIS integration and testing environments
- Provide accurate status reports on assigned integration activities to the management team
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with internal (Shipyard Production, CSC Program personnel) and external stakeholders (subcontractors and Canadian government representatives)
- Ensure all CIS Elements are identified, defined and approved
- Provide support in evaluating engineering change presented by the subcontractors to ensure impacts to integration activities are understood and recorded
- Support a culture of teamwork, enthusiasm and a proactive nature within the Combat Systems Engineering team
- Be a role model for professional behavior
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan;
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs;
- RRSP matching program;
- Health & Wellness reimbursements;
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development;
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of compani es
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as 'Safety Sensitive' where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
For further details, please contact Recruitment at email@example.com
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.