Internal Auditor (6 Month Term) 1
Sobeys Inc. in Stellarton, NS
Requisition ID: 132182
Career Group: Corporate Office Careers
Job Category: Audit & Compliance
Travel Requirements: 0 - 10%
Part Time or Full Time: Full Time
Country: Canada (CA)
Province: Nova Scotia (CA-NS)
City: Stellarton or Halifax
Location: Foord St. Office
Our family of 123,000 employees and franchise affiliates share a collective passion for delivering exceptional shopping experiences and amazing food to all our customers. Our mission is to nurture the things that make life better - great experiences, families, communities, and our employees.
A proudly Canadian company, we started in a small town in Nova Scotia but we are now in communities of all sizes across this great country. With over 1500 stores in all 10 provinces, you may know us as Sobeys, Safeway, IGA, Foodland, FreshCo, Thrifty Foods, Lawton's Drug Stores or another of our great banners but we are all one extended family.
All career opportunities will be open a minimum of 5 business days from the date of posting. Overview
Sobeys currently has an exciting 6 Month Term opportunity for an Internal Auditor to join our Internal Audit team. This position has the option to be based out of our corporate office located in either Halifax, NS, Stellarton, NS, Montreal Qc or Mississauga, ON.
This position reports to the Manager, Internal Audit and is responsible for conducting financial or operational audits to evaluate and report objectively on the adequacy, efficiency and effectiveness of the financial and operational processes/controls within the Empire Company Limited group of companies. Job Description
- Assist in developing and executing the annual audit plan covering all aspects of the financial and operational systems within the Company including:
- Improve the reliability of the Company's financial systems by evaluating the adequacy of internal controls and recommending improvements
- Develop an overall understanding of business risks and the effectiveness of internal controls and operating practice in assigned audits
- Conduct business process walkthroughs, identify key risks and internal controls, document processes, design control testing, and evaluate control effectiveness
- Develop and perform audit procedures including documenting business processes and procedures, developing audit programs, sample testing, reviewing and analyzing evidence for both operational audits and internal controls over financial reporting
- Facilitate communication between teams and all other relevant functional areas based on assigned audit
- Document clear, concise, and objective audit findings on the results of audits, including recommendations that add value to the business
- Recommend process improvement measures and other best practices to optimize efficiency
- Assist in execution of ongoing action plan monitoring, including use of data analytics
- Assist in quarterly and ad hoc Management and Board reporting
- Build and maintain effective working relationships with peers and Management
- Assist in promoting the image and role of the Internal Audit function within the organization
- Maintain up-to-date skills on data analytic and visualization tools (ACL, Visual Basic, Tableau)
- Keep abreast of retail/grocery industry and internal audit trends
- Undergraduate Degree in Accounting or Business-related field
- Professional Accounting Designation such as CPA or MBA (preferred)
- Audit-related designation or working towards Internal Audit Designation (CIA or CISA) (preferred)
- Minimum two years related work experience in at least one of the following areas: Public Accounting, Internal Audit, Finance and/or Consulting
- Bilingual (English and French) (preferred)
- Strong analytical skills
- Travel required, approximately 0% - 10%
This is an outstanding opportunity to join a leading Canadian company with a clear vision and focus. If you feel that this describes the kind of work you want to do, and you are excited about what Sobeys has to offer, then we look forward to reviewing your application. Please ensure that you take the time to ensure your profile shows us why you're the most qualified applicant for the role.
Sobeys offers our employees many valuable benefits such as:
- Growing organization
- Competitive salary
- Ongoing Training & Development
- Opportunity for internal mobility to other departments and/or promotions (for employees who are strong performers)
Sobeys is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process and will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of this process.
While all responses are appreciated only those being considered for interviews will be acknowledged.
We appreciate the interest from the Staffing industry however respectfully request no calls or unsolicited resumes from Agencies.