Field Service Engineer, Electrical
Irving Shipbuilding in Halifax, NS
FIELD SERVICE ENGINEER, ELECTRICAL
Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7 or 35 Mic Mac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, B3A 4Y8 Irving Shipbuilding has a proud history as Canada's shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited family of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in the world. Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 23 modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada's National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history.
This year, we delivered the lead Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship, the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years. And we're just getting started. We're growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada's shipbuilding industry and provide Canada's sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada's interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants.
We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is seeking a Field Service Engineer, Electrical
This is a permanent full-time role based in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia. The primary language of work is English. We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women (applying for non-traditional positions), persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of the LGBTQ community. ISI encourages applicants to self-identify in the cover letter/resume portion of your application. Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment where all employees feel supported and valued.
- Recognized Engineering Degree or Diploma in Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience.
- Registered P. Eng. an asset.
- Between 1 to 5 years of experience in an Engineering/Programmatic environment within shipbuilding or oil and gas working in a similar role.
- Experience in some aspects of electrical systems, such as electrical generators, electrical distribution networks, control systems, switchboards, cable management, EMI/EMC management, grounding, and bonding, etc
- Knowledge of classification society rules for electrical systems
- Knowledge of electrical system design and cable management software an asset
- New construction experience with field support an asset.
- Accustomed to working in a fast-paced environment with multiple conflicting priorities.
- Strong communication and personal time management skills.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat Pro, Autocad.
- Knowledge of Sharepoint / Access / Tableau an asset.
- Experience in Database navigation.
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- Solving Production issues revolving around the area of Electrical and Outfit Disciplines.
- Raise & drive Design Changes to completion including development of Sketches / Redlines.
- Review issues raised on previous Vessels and help implement fixes on following vessels to better optimize their stage of construction.
- Provide a Technical interface between Production & the support elements of the Project.
- Production Support incl. Model assistance, Measurements, Design Clarification.
- Analyze VIRs for Design deficiency and provide Engineering clarification / direction when applicable.
- Occasional evening availability for week-long Production Late Shift support.
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan;
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs;
- RRSP matching program;
- Health & Wellness reimbursements;
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development;
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of compani es.
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as 'Safety Sensitive' where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
For further details, please contact Recruitment at email@example.com
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here .
Irving Shipbuilding is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.