Labour and Employment Board
Who we are
The Labour and Employment Board is responsible for the supervision of labour relations in both the private and public sectors in New Brunswick. Responsibilities of the Board are mandated and set out in the provisions of, among others, the Industrial Relations Act, Public Service Labour Relations Act, Employment Standards Act, Pension Benefits Act, and Human Rights Act. We are seeking an individual to provide professional assistance and support with respect to these acts and regulations.
What you will do
The successful candidate will be required to independently ensure processes of the Labour and Employment Board are in compliance with statutory and regulatory standards of procedure and documentation. The candidate will be required to conduct legal research and provide oral and written advice and recommendations on legal issues to Board Members, draft legal documents, and conduct representation votes as Returning Officer. As well, the incumbent will review Board decisions prior to release and prepare summaries for inclusion in the Annual Report.
- Office location: 435 King Street, Suite 200, Fredericton
- Office layout: Private offices
- Your Team: Small team
- Standard hours of work: Monday - Friday, 8:15-4:30
- Occasional overtime may be necessary
- Occasional travel throughout the province may be necessary
- We promote a scent-reduced environment.
Who you are
You possess strong interpersonal and communication skills, the ability to problem-solve creatively and to think on your feet. You are adept at prioritizing your workload, have a keen attention to detail, and can adapt your communication style to a variety of audiences. You are comfortable interpreting and applying legislation, as well as helping people navigate legal processes while maintaining neutrality and discretion. You treat people in a polite and professional manner and have a genuine interest in helping to advance positive labour relations for the benefit of all New Brunswickers.
Your attitude, skills and interests are just as important as your area of study. We are looking for diverse backgrounds that bring a combination of the following:
- Must possess a university degree in Law
- Must have a minimum of 3 years related work experience
- Must have excellent written and spoken competence in both English and French
- Must have excellent research skills using legal databases
Nice to Have
- An understanding of the relevant acts and administrative processes related to a quasi-judicial administrative tribunal as well as an understanding of labour/management issues
- Membership (or admissibility for membership) in the Law Society of New Brunswick
Pay Band 5 - $2, 196 to $3, 067 bi-weekly
What can GNB offer you?
- Comprehensive benefits package and the Public Service Shared Risk Pension Plan.
- Opportunities for career growth, professional development and training.
- Free access to Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) and services
- 1 paid Volunteer Day per year to give back to your community.
- 1.25 days/month of paid vacation
Providing a safe workplace for all. Your health & safety are important to us. GNB has implemented preventative measures across the organization to ensure your health & Safety.
How to apply
We encourage applicants to apply on-line at www.ere.gnb.ca by January 20, 2021 indicating competition number 20-LEB-01. This competition may be used to fill future vacancies at the same level.
Human Resources Services
Phone: (506) 457-7886
We thank all those who apply, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of our communities in which we live and serve. We encourage and support applications from Aboriginals, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minority groups. Candidates registered with the Equal Employment Opportunity Program and veterans, who are among the most qualified, will be given preference at the time of selection.
Let's connect. You belong here.