Manager of Risk and Insurance
Manager of Risk and Insurance-Halifax, NS
Killam Apartment REIT (TSX:KMP.UN), is a growth-oriented real estate investment trust which owns, manages and develops multi-family residential properties in Atlantic Canada, Ontario, Alberta, and British Columbia. Killam is focused on maximizing its value and long-term profitability through increasing earnings, expanding the portfolio through acquisitions and developing high-quality properties in its core markets.
We are expanding our team and are in search of a dedicated Manager of Risk and Insurance. This position will be located at our Head Office in Halifax, NS. The successful candidate will apply their experience to improve internal processes and programs, and to introduce solutions to further enhance Killam's risk management program.
- Act as an in-house expert on claims management.
- Respond to incidents and claims and management of all claims to be handled internally.
- Act as the key point of contact for property management and operations in response to claims.
- Act as the key point of contact for insurers.
- Work with adjusters as required for larger claims - primary point of contact for any third-party adjustors.
- Manage ongoing claims, including communications and coordination of claims supporting the timely return of property to tenants and owner.
- Review service contracts (internal or third party) for the appropriate insurance and liability terms and conditions.
- Manage the internal risk database.
- Report on claims and loss data.
- Complete on-site risk assessments.
- Support the annual insurance renewal process.
- Identify gaps and opportunities in insurance coverage.
- Oversee safety and risk awareness training for staff.
- Identify of programs to reduce risk.
- Audit/review third-party insurance for supplies and contractors.
- Coordinate insurance related underwriting for acquisitions and developments.
- Respond to insurance related inquiries from internal groups, lenders and suppliers/contractors.
- Five (5) years of claims management and/or insurance experience.
- Chartered Insurance Professional (CIP®) designation.
- Canadian Risk Management designation considered an asset.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills with excellent attention to detail.
- A self-starter with the ability to work independently and also as part of a team.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to work under tight deadlines and competing priorities.
- Intermediate to advanced skills in excel, word and other Microsoft office programs.
Application: Please fill out our online application form at https://bit.ly/37FRFM2.
Closing Date: Friday, January 15, 2021.
We offer an award-winning work environment, competitive wages, a comprehensive group benefit plan, employee & family assistance program and the opportunity to own a piece of Killam through our Employee Unit Purchase Plan.
Killam is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing a supportive and inclusive workplace for all employees. Employees will be given support and encouragement to develop their full potential and utilize their unique talents.
We thank you for your interest in our company. All qualified applicants will be considered; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted. Please no phone calls.