Metal Fabricator - Red Seal
Irving Shipbuilding in Halifax, NS
METAL FABRICATOR - RED SEAL
Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7 Irving Shipbuilding has a proud history as Canada's shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited group of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in North America. Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 20 modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada's National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history. This year, we delivered the lead Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship, the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years and we're just getting started. The second ship will be delivered in 2021.
We're growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada's shipbuilding industry and provide Canada's sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada's interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants. We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
Irving Shipbuilding is seeking multiple Metal Fabricator - Red Seal for current opportunities.
We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women (applying for non-traditional positions), persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of the LGBTQ community. ISI encourages applicants to self-identify in the cover letter/resume portion of your application. Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment where all employees feel supported and valued.
Ironworkers are responsible for the use of various tools and equipment in the fabrication, assembly and erection of metal parts for the construction of modular units utilized in the various stages of the building of a marine vessel.
- Completion of college/CEGEP/vocational or technical training
- Metal fabrication trade certification
- Requires a minimum of 3 or more years of fabrication, assembly, and fitting experience utilizing various tools and equipment
- Experience working in marine/industrial industry is considered an asset
- Areas of specialization: structural metal or steel, plate work, shipbuilding, pressure vessel
- Measure, cut, grind, fit, align, and tack weld parts
- Layout of reference points and patterns
- Assemble and fit plates and sections to form structures
- Install interior structures, hatches, doors, bulkheads, etc. to complete all of the steel work in the ship
- Layout construct patterns and templates
- Read, interpret, plan and execute from drawings, blueprints, and procedures
- Instruct and mentor apprentices
- You must be eligible to work in Canada to apply for this job
- A pre-employment physical is required
- A background check will be performed by the Employer
Physical effort and work conditions:
- Candidates will be required to wear respiratory protective equipment and must comply with all safety regulations regarding the proper fit and use of this personal protective equipment
- Candidates will be required to work at heights from ladders, scaffolding, and platforms; stand, stoop, bend, kneel, climb, and work in confined spaces, inclement weather and support extended hours and overtime as business needs dictate. Work may be performed indoors and outdoors. You will frequently handle, lift, carry, and set up parts and equipment that weigh up to fifty (50lbs) pounds. Occasionally, you may be required to lift and carry items that weigh over fifty (50lbs) pounds
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR)
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs
- RRSP matching program
- Health & Wellness reimbursements
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of compani es.
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as 'Safety Sensitive' where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
For further details, please contact: email@example.com
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education are required. If you require accommodation to complete the application process, or at any time during our recruitment steps, please contact us.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our qualified ISI Talent Acquisition Specialists. If they see a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.