Irving Shipbuilding in Halifax, NS
Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7, and 35 Micmac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3A4Y8 , Irving Shipbuilding has a proud history as Canada's shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited group of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in North America. Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 20 modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada's National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history. This year, we delivered the lead Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship, the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years and we're just getting started. The second ship will be delivered in 2021.
We're growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada's shipbuilding industry and provide Canada's sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada's interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants. We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is seeking a Fire Inspector.
This is a permanent full-time role base d in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia. The primary language of work is English .
- Education Required:
- Post-secondary education related to fire inspection and/or prevention, such as one of the following (or a combination thereof):
- NFPA Fire Inspector I certification
- NFPA Fire Fighter II certification
- Fire Prevention Management certificate
- Fire Science
- Fire Safety Engineering
- Years of Experience Required:
- 3 - 5 years of relevant experience as a Fire Inspector or a similar role in heavy industrial and/or shipyard environments
- Demonstrated knowledge of fire safety regulations and building codes
- Knowledge of and experience with fire alarm and suppression systems
- Emergency response experience will be considered an asset
- Highly energetic self-starter who naturally applies a proactive approach to accomplishing goals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively will all levels of the organization, including senior leadership
- Demonstrated organizational and analytical skills
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office
- Establish and maintain a best-in-class fire safety strategy in consultation with senior leadership, union representatives and the Joint Health & Safety Committee that meets or exceeds all provincial standards, as well as follow industry best practices.
- Conduct regular fire inspections, fire drills and verify safe work conditions at all company sites and onboard ships
- Conduct after action reports for all events to determine root cause and recommended actions
- Inspect, monitor all fire alarm systems across yard
- Advise and train employees on policies and procedures related to fire awareness and drills
- Promote fire safety
- Provide on-going leadership and guidance to employees and leadership in support of an effective fire safety program
- Partner with our internal Emergency Response Team (ERT) to ensure maximum effectiveness
- Promote positive relationships and coordinate response drills with external emergency response agencies
What We Offer:
- Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan;
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs;
- RRSP matching program;
- Health & Wellness reimbursements;
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development;
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of compani es.
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as 'Safety Sensitive' where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
For further details, please contact Recruitment at firstname.lastname@example.org
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.