Paralegal - Creditor Practice
What Are We Looking For?
Our Creditor Practice has two teams, Secured and Unsecured. Our Secured team is responsible for financial recovery of secured mortgage debt, while our Unsecured team is responsible for finance recovery of unsecured debt such as personal loans, credit cards, etc. We are seeking Paralegals for both teams.
Why BOYNECLARKE LLP?
We are a dynamic, fast-growing full-service law firm located in downtown Dartmouth, with spectacular views of the Halifax Harbour. We understand that the success and well-being of our clients and our staff is often rooted in our shared community, that is why we are deeply invested in giving back. We strengthen and support our commitment to community through various programs and initiatives, including volunteer time programs, staff-driven initiatives, and casual days that support a different staff-selected charity each month. We also understand that work-life integration, health, and wellness play an important role in staffs' ability to be successful and maintain a healthy working environment. Through financial literacy programs, fitness classes, wellness subsidy program, and committee driven initiatives, we invest in maintaining an environment that our staff can thrive in.
- Daily update of file statuses via financial institution systems (online highways) as well as updating in the document management system (ProLaw);
- Complete verification for judgment, including related searches (property, judgment, Equifax, and skip trace) as they pertain to the file and action and update clients accordingly;
- Prepare legal documents including Notice of Action and Statement of Claim, Judgments, execution orders, letters to Sheriff Services, debtors, etc. and update clients accordingly;
- Process and complete all documentation to complete judgment renewal on existing judgments and update/verify with clients;
- Prepare paper files for next stages;
- Update and maintain Prolaw files;
- Update online highways for client communication;
- Preparation of all related legal documents;
- Ensure the accuracy and completeness of client/file information within Prolaw and the electronic highways;
- Comply with Provincial requirements for Atlantic Canada for recovery of secured and unsecured debt;
- Complete verification for debt recovery, including order related searches (property, judgement, Equifax, skip trace) as they pertain to the fine and action;
- Draft and prepare correspondence including pleadings, Affidavits and all related documents for debt recovery;
- Closely manage various deadlines including courts, lawyers, and financial institutions;
- Daily updating and monitoring of various on-line systems (highways) including financial institutions on both provincial and inter-provincial levels;
- Regular contact and interaction with service providers, such as bailiffs, court officials, property managers, and legal agents;
- Provide file lawyer with status information updates and prepare for and attend regular file review meetings;
- Ensure the accuracy and completeness of client/file information within the ProLaw database;
Qualifications and Skills
To be successful, you possess the following qualifications and skills:
- Graduate of a Paralegal diploma with any amount of years' experience or 10 years' equivalent experience;
- Excellent proofreading skills with the ability to check types material for grammatical, typographical, spells, word usage, and formatting errors)
- Ability to work independently and follow instructions with minimal supervision and take initiative;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with a demonstrated ability to provide superior customer service;
- Propensity for contributing to a positive and collaborative culture;
- Technically adept using Outlook and Microsoft Suite, and an aptitude for learning new computer programs quickly;
- Strong ability to manage high-volume work and prioritize multiple deadlines;
- Critical thinking, problem solving, and ability to make judgment calls;
- Proven ability to be self-motivated and accomplish work efficiently