Health and Safety Advisor
The Municipal Group of Companies, based in Bedford Nova Scotia, is a large diversified organization engaged in all major aspects of the heavy civil construction, mining and environmental services within the Atlantic Provinces. We are currently seeking a Health and Safety Advisor to join our safety department based out of our Bedford, NS office.
The Health & Safety Advisor is to ensure the safe operation of the facilities, job sites, and day to day activities of The Municipal Group of Companies and its affiliates. The Health & Safety Advisor is to know, advise, and enforce the Organization's safety programs, safety policies, company rules, and the provincial Occupational Health and Safety Act as applicable to the Organization's operation. Occasionally coordinate with Provincial OH&S staff and company clients to review and discuss health and safety matters.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- To know, advise, train and enforce the Organization's safety program, safety policies, rules, any applicable acts, regulations pursuant to the acts, and all codes of practice under the acts, as applicable to the Organization's operation.
- Control and monitor the Organization's safety program, making any necessary amendments as required to ensure it complies with all applicable acts, regulations and codes of practice.
- Design, amend and distribute all safety related forms to superintendents and foremen, with guidelines to ensure proper completion.
- Develop injury and incident prevention strategies for their area of responsibility.
- Promote open discussion of safety concerns/issues, best practices, and review accidents/incidents/near misses to identify and develop corrective actions.
- Review vehicle, equipment, personal injury, and near-miss accidents/incidents to determine causes making recommendations to management on remedial action to prevent recurrence.
- Track local area's accidents/incidents/near misses to identify trends and to assist in the development of policies/procedures/corrective action to minimize the potential for reoccurrence.
- Perform health and safety inspections for various work areas and locations.
- Complete safety audits to maintain company letters of good standing as required. Familiar with Certificate of Recognition program an asset.
- Visit work sites on a regular basis to maintain a "safety presence" with employees.
- Maintain a copy of the safety program at work sites as required.
- Complete formal written safety inspections on sites to ensure compliance to company safety program (policies, rules, Acts, Regulations). Issue written violation reports as required to employees, supervisors, and sub-contractors for cases of non-compliance.
- Review site safety inspection reports and job hazard assessment forms for completion and verifications of action taken on areas requiring corrective action.
- Any other duties as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, and Experience:
- 3-5 years' experience in a safety role is a requirement
- Professional Safety designation or willingness to work towards such a designation is also required
- Fluent knowledge of all necessary Government Acts, Legislation and Requirements;
- Utilizes strong organization skills;
- Displays strong written and oral communication skills and employs effective listening skills. Must utilize strong presentation and facilitation skills..
- Experience using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook);
- Ability to travel throughout Nova Scotia to various sites
- Tactful and mature demeanour with well developed interpersonal skills including the ability to work well with diverse personalities;
- Competency in the Nova Scotia Temporary Workplace Traffic Control Manual would be considered a vital asset;
A comprehensive pension and benefits package are offered with this position along with opportunities for advancement and training and development.
Completed applications should be submitted to:
Attention: Jessica Wilson
Via Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please reference "Health and Safety Advisor" in the subject line.
We are an equal opportunity employer that encourages all interested candidates to submit a detailed resume.
We would like to thank all those who apply; however only those selected for an interview will be notified.