Software Engineer - Assurance
Irving Shipbuilding in Dartmouth, NS
SOFTWARE ENGINEER - Assurance
Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7 or 35 Mic Mac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, B3A 4Y8 Irving Shipbuilding has a proud history as Canada's shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited family of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in the world. Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 23 modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada's National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history.
This year, we will deliver the lead Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship, the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years. And we're just getting started. We're growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada's shipbuilding industry and provide Canada's sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada's interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants.
We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
This is a permanent,?full-time role based in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia.?The primary language of work is English. The Software Engineer - Assurance will fulfill a key role in the Canadian Surface Combatant (CSC) Systems Engineering Team, providing Software Assurance expertise and support to the program. The position will report to the Software Assurance team Lead and will work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders to define and execute the CSC Software Assurance Management process. Areas of knowledge and experience are required in, but not limited to:
- Naval Combat and Platform Systems
- Software Engineering process
- Software Acquisition management
- Awareness of Software Safety, Security and Support engineering disciplines
- Software Configuration process
- Software Quality Control process
- Coordination of multi-disciplinary software quality issues
- Conduct all work in accordance with the CSC Software Assurance Plan
- Develop the Software Assurance suite of plans in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.
- Provide software assurance expertise in support of the development, documentation, and evaluation of documents related to software quality assurance, including development of the Software Quality Compliance Matrix.
- Maintain the software register and the software risk assessment records
- Provide support in evaluating supplier software deliverables that impact safety and security risks, and issues related to design, integration, test, and acceptance activities.
- Coordinate and co-chair the Software Assurance Steering Group.
- Promote a positive Product Safety and Environmental Culture within the Project.
- Support a culture of collaboration, enthusiasm and a proactive nature within the Project.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Be a role model for professional behavior.
Experience & Qualifications:
- Education Required:
- Degree or other tertiary qualifications in an Engineering Discipline, Computer Science, Math, Physics or equivalent
- 3 - 5 years similar industry experience
- Qualifications related to Software Engineering and Quality Management would be considered an asset.
- Engineering in large and complex Defence acquisition projects involving coordination between multiple organizations
- Establishing and maintaining positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including customers
- Experience working in Quality Assurance
- Excellent time management, and written and oral communication skills
- Application of Software Quality Standards, e.g. IEEE730 / 2014, ISO/ IEC, NATO AQAP 2015
- Experience working with Quality Assurance
- Management of subcontractors
- Application of military safety standards, e.g. Mil-std882E, Def Stan 00-056/00-051/00-055
- Application of security standards, e.g. ISO/IEC 21827, etc.
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan;
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs;
- RRSP matching program;
- Health & Wellness reimbursements;
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development;
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies.
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as 'Safety Sensitive' where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.