Utility 6 – Gardener / Arenas
PARKS & LEISURE SERVICES - OPERATIONS
Job # P891e
Moncton is a vibrant and culturally rich community. It is the only officially bilingual city in Canada, as well as one of the best places in Canada to do business. Moncton is also known as the economic, sports, tourism and entertainment hub of Atlantic Canada. City of Moncton employees strive to maintain the city's reputation as one of the best places in Canada to live, study, work and play.
The City of Moncton is currently accepting applications for the position of Utility 6-Gardener/Arenas with the Parks & Leisure Service Department.
This position reports to the Service Foreman-Parks (summer) and the Manager of the Superior Propane Centre or Service Foreman-Grounds/Arenas (winter).
The successful candidate must have the following minimum qualifications:
- High school diploma or GED equivalency.
- Diploma in horticulture from a recognized college or university, or Red Seal Certificate as a Landscape Horticulturist.
- Province of New Brunswick Pesticide Applicator's license (D1).
- Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Accreditation Turf Practitioner.
- Arena Operations Certification levels 1 & 2 or willingness to obtain it
- Three (3) years experience working in landscape maintenance and construction
- Three (3) years experience working in arenas.
- Thorough understanding of all arena operations.
- Good understanding and familiarity with controls and mechanical operations of arena equipment.
- The ability to communicate (reading, writing and speaking) in English is essential. The ability to communicate in the French language would be an asset, but not a requirement.
- Valid Class 5 driver's license.
- Basic computer skills
- Good working knowledge of common and botanical plant names and cultural requirements of zone 4 indigenous and ornamentals including shade trees.
- Good understanding of acceptable nursery stock quality as contained in the most recent edition of the Canadian Nursery Stock Standard.
- Good working knowledge of installation, programming and maintenance of irrigation systems.
- Knowledge of, and compliance with, the New Brunswick Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Ability to calibrate and operate related horticultural equipment, including but not limited to spreaders, trimmers and sprayers.
- Good understanding of soil pH and fertility. Will be required to perform soil analysis interpretation and application of lime and fertilizer.
- Enforcement of Provincial Health and Safety Act and Pesticide Control Act, and City of Moncton Tree Protection Guidelines as they relate to staff, the general public and outside contractors within assigned area.
- Deal directly with rental equipment operators and contractors to ensure work is carried out as per specifications, efficiently and safely.
- Supervision of work crews (i.e. union, casual, students and contractors), providing advice and guidance to workers and reporting job progress and details to appropriate foreman. Crew size fluctuates according to season. On occasion, will have to show junior employees work methods.
- Salary and hours of work as specified in the Collective Agreement between the City of Moncton and CUPE Local 51.
- Work will be required on weekends, evenings.
MISSION: Working together to grow our economy and enhance the quality of life for all citizens.
VISION: A city that inspires.
CORE ORGANIZATIONAL BEHAVIOURS: Accountability, professionalism, respect, and excellence.
The City of Moncton is an equal opportunity employer.
The Applicant must submit their application through the online system that can be found at www.moncton.ca/employment or obtain an application from Human Resources at City Hall. For more information, please contact Human Resources at (506) 877-7707.
CLOSING DATE: NOON - OCTOBER 27, 2020
(The City of Moncton thanks all applicants for their interest; however,
only those invited for interviews will be contacted)