System Safety Engineer
Irving Shipbuilding in Dartmouth, NS
SYSTEM SAFETY ENGINEER
Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7 or 35 Mic Mac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, B3A 4Y8 Irving Shipbuilding has a proud history as Canada's shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited family of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in the world. Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 23 modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada's National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history.
This year, we delivered the lead Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship, the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years. And we're just getting started. We're growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada's shipbuilding industry and provide Canada's sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada's interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants.
We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
This is a permanent, full-time role based in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia. The primary language of work is English.
The System Safety Engineer will fulfill a key role in the Canadian Surface Combatant (CSC) Systems Engineering Team, with a focus on the integration of rotary wing aircraft into the ship, and the systems that support aircraft operations. This position will report to the Engineering Manager - Safety and Certification, and will be required to support the development and implementation of the Safety and Environmental Program, working collaboratively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders, including Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) and Regulators. Areas of knowledge and experience are required in, but not limited to:
- Aviation Facilities
- Ship/Air Interface
- Release To Service
- System Hazard Identification and Safety Control Development
- Safety and Environmental Case development
- Safety Verification & Validation techniques
- Safety at sea (Preparation for Sea Trials)
- Conduct all work in accordance with the Safety and Environmental Management System.
- Develop and execute the aviation integration aspects of the Safety and Environmental Program in accordance with Regulatory and Statutory requirements, and DND/RCAF Policy.
- Coordinate Joint Clearance for Service Use Certification.
- Ensure that physical and functional interfaces of all systems are identified, defined and approved via Interface Control Documents.
- Provide System Safety Engineering expertise to the development, documentation, and evaluation of deliverables related to the requirements definition, design, integration, and test of all shipborne facilities related to aviation operations.
- Provide System Safety Engineering support in evaluating Engineering Change to ensure that impacts, risks and issues related to design, integration, test, and acceptance activities are identified, communicated and recorded.
- Provide technical input to the Safety and Environmental Case.
- Provide technical expertise to Integrated Project Teams and Working Groups.
- Contribute to Hazard Identification, Analysis and Risk Assessment.
- Promote positive Safety and Environmental Culture within the Project.
- Support a culture of collaboration, enthusiasm and a proactive nature within the Project.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Be a role model for professional behavior.
- Education in a relevant Engineering/Science discipline
- A minimum of 3-5 years' experience in the following fields:
- Engineering in large and complex defense acquisition projects involving coordination between multiple organizations
- Integration of rotary wing aircraft into warships
- Establishing and maintaining positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including customers
- Excellent time management, and written and oral communication skills
- Experience in the below would be considered an asset:
- Product Safety and Product Environmental engineering for Naval equipment
- Joint Clearance For Service Use
- Release To Service (RTS)
- Application of military safety standards, e.g. Mil Std 882E, Def Stan 00-056/00-051 etc.
- Development of Safety and Environmental Cases and Safety and Environmental Case Reports
- Experience in ship construction
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan;
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs;
- RRSP matching program;
- Health & Wellness reimbursements;
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development;
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies.
For further details, please contact Erin Sloan at: firstname.lastname@example.org
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.