Director of Political Financing
Director of Political Financing
Pay Band 7 ($78,728 - $95,238)
Are you interested in the Canadian democratic process? How would you like to work with the office that oversees the electoral processes in the province of New Brunswick?
Elections New Brunswick (Elections NB) is a non-partisan office of the Legislative Assembly. Elections NB administers free and fair elections in accordance with the Elections Act. The Chief Electoral Officer also serves as the Supervisor of Political Financing under the Political Process Financing Act (PPFA). The Supervisor monitors compliance with the PPFA by provincial political participants.
Reporting to the Assistant Supervisor of Political Financing, Elections NB is seeking a Director of Political Financing who will:
- Support the implementation of Elections NB's Strategic Plan 2018-2027.
- Facilitate compliance with the PPFA by provincial political participants by:
- Responding to inquiries with expert knowledge.
- Providing instruction and guidance to representatives of political parties, district associations, leadership and nomination contestants, candidates, and third parties.
- Providing instruction, advice, and training in financial management, accounting procedures, software utilization, financial reporting, and completion of financial returns.
- Direct and perform compliance examinations of all financial returns submitted to Elections NB.
- During scheduled provincial general elections, review compliance with the Transparency in Election Commitments Act by political parties.
- Prepare and publish the Annual Report of the Supervisor of Political Financing.
- Manage the archiving of financial returns and other records in compliance with the Provincial Archives Act and applicable retention schedules.
- Manage the performance of permanent and temporary staff.
Essential qualifications: Applicants must possess:
- A Chartered Professional Accountant designation.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in financial auditing, preferably in a public accounting environment.
- An additional five (5) years of experience serving as a financial controller or similar management position.
- Strong skills in financial accounting and reporting, spreadsheet preparation and data analysis, and business communication.
- Written and spoken competence in English and French at the advanced level. Please state your language capability.
Asset qualifications: Preference may be given to applicants that have experience:
- using the Sage 50 and QuickBooks accounting programs;
- applying provincial legislation; or
- identifying fraud.
Behavioural competencies: Applicants selected for an interview will be asked to demonstrate the following behavioural competencies: effective interactive communication, information seeking, integrity, and results orientation.
Application process: Applications must be received no later than Friday, October 23, 2020. Applicants must submit a cover letter and résumé explaining how they meet the qualifications listed above and indicating in which official language they would prefer to be interviewed.
Applications may be submitted in confidence to:
Elections New Brunswick
Attn: Kimberly Poffenroth, Supervisor of Political Financing
102-551 King Street
Fredericton, NB E3B 1E7
Interview process: Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants are responsible for travel expense related to this hiring process. A writing sample, technical testing, and language proficiency testing may be required. Successful applicants will be required to prove membership in good standing with the Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada. They will also undergo a criminal record clearance prior to appointment.