Senior Electrical Engineer
Irving Shipbuilding in Halifax, NS
SENIOR ELECTRICAL ENGINEER
Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7 or 35 Mic Mac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, B3A 4Y8 Irving Shipbuilding has a proud history as Canada's shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited family of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in the world. Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 23 modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada's National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history.
This year, we delivered the lead Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship, the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years. And we're just getting started. We're growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada's shipbuilding industry and provide Canada's sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada's interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants.
We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
This is a permanent, full-time role (one opening) based in Halifax NS.
The Senior Electrical Engineer will report to the Team Lead, Electrical Engineer and will be responsible for:
- Design, subcontractor management in the area of platform electrical systems
- Senior member of platform electrical engineering team
- Participate in platform design Integrated Project Teams
- Manage subcontractor development of design deliverables and purchase specifications
- Review of electrical content in technical design reviews
- Requirements and change management for electrical systems
- Major equipment negotiation with vendors
- Client liaison and relations
Successful Candidate will possess the following Qualifications:
- Education Required: Recognized Engineering Degree in Electrical Engineering
- Years of Experience Required
- 7 - 10 Years' experience with Marine Electrical Systems
- Experience in all aspects of marine electrical systems, including electrical generators, electrical distribution networks, control systems, switchboards, cable management, EMI/EMC management, grounding and bonding, etc
- Experience working on naval new building and/or refit projects
- Experience with various naval electrical standards such as MIL-STDs, DEFSTAN, etc.
- Experience working with classification society rules for electrical systems
- Experience with electrical system design and cable management software
- Knowledge of naval ship electrical system survivability features an advantage
- Experience managing technical teams an advantage
- Strong communication and personal time management skills
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan;
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs;
- RRSP matching program;
- Health & Wellness reimbursements;
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development;
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies.
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as 'Safety Sensitive' where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
For further details, please contact Erin Sloan at: email@example.com .
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.