Mechanical Systems Engineer
Irving Shipbuilding in Halifax, NS
MECHANICAL SYSETMS ENGINEER
Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7 or 35 Mic Mac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, B3A 4Y8 Irving Shipbuilding has a proud history as Canada's shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited family of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in the world. Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 23 modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada's National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history.
This year, we delivered the lead Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship, the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years. And we're just getting started. We're growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada's shipbuilding industry and provide Canada's sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada's interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants.
We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is seeking a Mechanical Systems Engineer.
This is a permanent full-time role based in Halifax, NS.
- Ownership of assigned technical systems in new construction projects
- Verifying or completing technical solution to arising design issues
- Preparing technical change packages
- Ensuring design products are corrected or updated as required
- Issuing revision notices to change planning to complete work
- Previous experience with HVAC, fuel, oil, water, cooling, heating, ballast, bilge, slug, systems is an asset.
- Interacting with field engineers, planning and production personnel for design change and implementation collaboration
- Education Required: Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Registered P. Eng. or P.Eng. Candidate an asset
- Years of Experience Required
- 5 years of experience in an Engineering/Programmatic environment within shipbuilding or oil and gas working in a similar role
- Experience with functional mechanical systems engineering
- Experience performing Change Management functions
- Experience working with classification society requirements and / or military standards and specifications
- New construction experience with field support an asset
- Accustomed to working in a fast-paced environment with multiple conflicting priorities
- Comfort with MS Office suite of software
- Strong communication and personal time management skills
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan;
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs;
- RRSP matching program;
- Health & Wellness reimbursements;
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development;
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies.
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as 'Safety Sensitive' where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
For further details, please contact Erin Sloan at: firstname.lastname@example.org .
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.