Senior Environmental Specialist – 12 Month Term
Irving Shipbuilding in Halifax, NS
SENIOR ENVIRONMENTAL SPECIALIST - 12 Month Term
Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7 or 35 Mic Mac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, B3A 4Y 8 Irving Shipbuilding has a proud history as Canada's shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited family of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in the world. Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 23 modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada's National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history.
This year, we delivered the lead Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship, the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years. And we're just getting started. We're growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada's shipbuilding industry and provide Canada's sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada's interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants.We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is currently recruiting for a Senior Environmental Specialist . This is a 12 month temporary full-time staff role based in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia.
- Promote and support the Environmental Management System
- Develops, implements and maintains various testing/sampling methodology that meet the requirements for accuracy, repeatability and Due Diligence.
- Effective direction and maintenance of the Environmental Management Plan to ensure that ISI meets or exceeds customer expectations as a world class shipyard.
- Develop, maintain and deliver Environmental and Occupational Hygiene training, such as Asbestos Awareness, removal and disposal, Lead Paint Awareness and removal, WMIS 2015 training, Transport of Dangerous Goods
- Ensure compliance with ISI Procedure, Federal and Provincial legislation and take appropriate action to correct non-compliant situations
- Maintain Environmental Management System to ensure that it meets or exceeds the intent of the most current ISO 14001 standard
- Oversee various testing/sampling, such as air/water etc., to confirm compliance with environmental regulations and local by-laws
- Complete vessel risk/hazard assessment
- Maintain Emergency Management Plan environmental section
- Maintains and ensures the SDS system is current
- Assist in developing of the annual budget and Forecasts
- Establish and maintain extensive partnerships and develops a positive working environment with the environmental team and ensure the team members are empowered, encouraged, and rewarded for their contributions and performance. Mentors and guides the team
- Establishes and clearly defines responsibility for staff on the environmental team, and ensures the ongoing management and support of staff and effective employee performance
- Interacts with 3rd party contractors and other stakeholders to ensure professional relationships are maintained
- Education Required: Bachelor's Degree in Science, preferably in Chemistry. Other science disciplines may be considered (i.e., Biology, Environmental Engineering, etc.).
- Years of Experience Required
- Minimum of 5 years' experience in a similar roll
- Strong interpersonal skills, comfortable in a team environment, customer focused from an operational perspective
- Excellent written, verbal and listening skills
- Demonstrated high standards of integrity combined with a track record of excellence in performance
- Possess situational awareness of surroundings with the ability to adapt to new and changing environments, who can relate well at all levels
- A high sense of urgency with regards to moving projects forward and making operational improvements
- Ability to handle complexity as well as balance the "big picture" and details given scope & scale of role
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- A record of safety and environmental compliance
- A demonstration ability to positively impact change
- Knowledge of root cause analysis
- Hold a formally recognized Marine Chemist Certification, or working towards/able to obtain
- Be willing to undertake ISI Gas Free (Competent Person and Lvls I and II) training, with intent to ultimately provide this training within ISI
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as 'Safety Sensitive' where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.