Director of Resident Care
Miners Memorial Manor, Sydney Mines
Candidates are invited to apply for the full time position of Director of Resident Care for our 49 bed Long Term Care, Residential Care Facility.
The ideal candidate is a proven leader with excellent leadership, communication, planning and organizational skills. A critical thinker with experience in quality improvement and risk management initiatives to promote optimal delivery of resident care. The Director of Care is responsible for providing day to day leadership and direction to nursing staff and for the management of all aspects of human and fiscal resources and policy development. This position reports to the administrator.
Major responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Plans, organizes, directs and supervises the activities of the Nursing Department to provide quality resident care.
- Provides leadership and guidance to members of the nursing team.
- Implements and follows evidence based practices to guide clinical care.
- Manages all aspects of human resources including hiring, orientation, performance evaluations and disciplines.
- Responsible for attendance management.
- Evaluates staffing needs to determine appropriate staffing.
- Completes, submits and authorizes payroll for nursing department.
- Ensures staff are aware of all company policies and procedures and ensures communication to staff when policies and procedures are changed or added.
- Applies corporate management policies, interprets collective agreements and responds to grievances as required.
- Schedules and delegates duties to care staff with in staffing guidelines and departmental budget.
- Supervises the efficient use of facility supplies, equipment and manpower within the department's budget.
- Maintains a safe environment for residents/family and staff through
- Accident prevention
- Knowledge of emergency procedures and regulations, supplies and equipment
- Appropriate utilization of infection control procedures
- Ensures that programs related to risk management are established (e.g. Infection Control, OH&S Committee, Wound care Committee)
- Monitors adherence to all applicable legislation and Government regulations.
- Current registration as a Registered Nurse with the Nova Scotia College of Nurses; Nursing Degree preferred.
- Must have demonstrated leadership and conflict resolution skills.
- Current Criminal Record check and Vulnerable Sector Check applicable to Nova Scotia applicants.
- Minimum of 3 years work experience in geriatrics or a suitable combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 3 years work experience in management/administration.
- Excellent interpersonal and coaching skills.
- Current CPR & First Aid.
- Acts on behalf of the Administrator in the absence of the Administrator.
- Must be willing to work the hours necessary to ensure the effective operation of the facility.
- Must be prepared to respond to emergent situations.
- Must be willing to be a manager on call.
Please forward cover letter & resume to: